Civics and Peace Education Manager
About Mote Oo:
Mote Oo Education is a small, community-focused organisation which specialises in creating teacher training programs and quality educational materials for adults and young adults, mainly in the fields of teacher education, civics and peace education, life skills and social sciences.
Trainings are designed for the needs of teachers and organisations, and build upon previous trainings, classroom time and observations. Our materials have been designed to meet the needs of teachers and students in the non-formal adult education sector, but we are increasingly looking to engage with the formal sector.
About the Position:
The Civic and Peace Education manager will be responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating Mote Oo’s Civic Education and Peace Education Projects.
Mote Oo’s Civic Education project has so far focused on developing context appropriate civic education textbooks and training materials for civic educators and non-formal education teachers working across Myanmar and on the Thai-Myanmar boarder. Mote Oo’s peace education project is publishing a series of peace education textbooks and will focus primarily on training throughout 2017.
In addition to managing these two projects, the CPE manager will be responsible for cooperating with other department managers, engaging in organisation wide meetings, and representing Mote Oo at events and forums that are relevant to his or her portfolio.
- Ensuring that Peace and Civic Education objectives are met according to agreed deadlines and timeframes.
- Ensuring that project expenditure remains within budgetary line items and according to contractual agreements.
- Ensuring timely and comprehensive submission of reports and other documentation.
- Facilitate strategic planning with Mote Oo senior management, department staff and consultants and other relevant stakeholders
- Fundraising and donor relations
- Recruiting, training, managing and supervising the staff and consultants that are working on CPE projects.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive CPE distribution strategy and advocate for the use of Mote Oo’s materials with significant stakeholders
- Develop and implement CPE training strategy through identifying priority partners and assessing their training needs.
- Assisting with CPE curriculum development and training activities. This could include research, writing, editing, and/or training.
- Representing Mote Oo at various peace, civics, and education sector functions, meetings, conferences, and working groups
Required Experience, Qualifications and Attitudes:
- Minimum 2-5 year project management experience
- Fluent in English (both written and oral)
- Capacity to communicate effectively with various stakeholders in various contexts.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to work effectively with local colleagues and partners.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities to meet deadlines
- Good leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor Degree in a relevant field (political science, education, peace and conflict studies) or equivalent of experience in a similar position
- Competent user of all Microsoft Office applications, Adobe suite an asset
- Familiarity with the social, political and cultural situation in Myanmar
- Familiarity with low-resource contexts, and no issues with basic amenities
- Teaching, training and/or curriculum development experience
- Myanmar language and/or other languages used in Myanmar would be an asset, but is not required
Salary and benefits:
- 1,000,000 – 1,200,000 MMK per month depending on experience
- All Myanmar national holidays plus 20 days paid holiday per year
- All work related visas and travel expenses, and limited medical expenses. Note this does not include any flights to/from Myanmar prior to or upon concluding the employment contract.
How to apply:
Attach your cover letter and CV to an email with CPE MAN in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com by 15th December 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be required to attend a follow-¬up interview in person at the Mote Oo office or over Skype. These candidates will be required to show two professional references
We will interview people on a rolling basis so we may fill the position ahead of the deadline. Budgetary constraints make us unable to offer a higher salary or greater benefits. This is non-negotiable.