The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation, which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies, and law enforcement.
CIFOR is looking for
Scientist, Forests, Food Security and Nutrition
The Scientist for Forests, Food Security and Nutrition will support CIFOR’s growing portfolio of work linking forests, food security and nutrition, including the work of the Bushmeat Research Initiative, by providing support for on-going projects and feedback on outputs and proposals for future work. The successful candidate will enhance the understanding of dietary and nutrition issues and methodologies among CIFOR staff and partners. Specific support for projects within CIFOR’s current Forests, Food Security and Nutrition portfolio will include:
- Agrarian Change Research Project (to 2018)
- Nutrition and Trees in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Regional Comparative Study. With funding from DfID, 2013–2017: Ethiopia, Uganda, Zambia, Cameroon and Burkina Faso.
- Bushmeat Research Initiative
- DEVCO Forests and Fish (Central Africa) 2017–2020
- From Growing Food to Growing Cash: Understanding the Drivers of Food Choice in the Context of Rapid Agrarian Change in Indonesia 2016–2018.
Summary of responsibilities
- Assist with analysis of dietary data from existing operational projects and initiatives
- Provide methodological guidance on the incorporation of different aspects of nutrition into future research projects
- Contribute to greater visibility of CIFOR’s research within the nutrition community
- Liaise with other CRPs, e.g. A4NH, livestock and fish, plus others
- Provide training to Center and CRP-wide staff on nutrition and diet research methods and ethics
- Contribute to the development of new projects and strategic direction for work on forests and food security and nutrition.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in a discipline related to the field: nutrition, health, etc.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in collaborative research
- Publications record especially in peer-reviewed publications
- Track record in resource mobilization/fund-raising and in proposal development/writing
- Fluent in spoken and written English, fluency in another international language, particularly French, would be an advantage
Personal attributes and competencies
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams
- Facilitation and teambuilding abilities
- An understanding of the value of sharing information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
- The application deadline is 3 March 2017.
- We will acknowledge all applications, but will only contact short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our career site at CLICK HERE
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff diversity contributes to excellence.