Application Closing Date – 06 Jan 2019
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – Until 31 December 2019 (parental leave cover)
Pay Scale – Job grade III
Location – Berlin, Germany
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Main function: The Legal Coordinator provides technical legal support to TI-S in the form of legal advice on contracts, employment law, governance matters and related and thereby supports TI’s legal capacity and capability.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until 31 December 2019 (parental leave cover)
Location: TI-Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
Team: Governance & Legal
Job grade: III
- Provide legal advice to TI-S and the Managing Director as may be required and ensure that the organization is in full legal and administrative compliance with the requirements of German law
- Assist in the identification of TI’s legal risks incl. review of TI’s advocacy messages and material and key external contracts as well as elements of legal risks in programming
- Activate pro bono legal assistance as required
- Contribute to training activities to raise effective use of legal capacity and capability across TI-S and the Movement
- Support the management of TI’s intellectual property including trademarks
- Facilitate the coordination of TI’s lawsuits including the full life cycle of litigation and disputed claim files as well as investigation, evaluation, negotiation, mediation, and litigation
- Monitor the Legal Affairs budget
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- University degree or professional qualification in law obtained in Germany (First and Second State Exams)
- 4/5+ years of relevant experience with demonstrated in-depth knowledge related to legal affairs or related fields
- Expertise in German law (incl. labour law and contract law) required; anti-corruption expertise an advantage
- Ability to undertake legal research, use initiative and adopt a highly pragmatic approach
- Strong attention to detail and keen awareness of the need for legal accuracy
- Ability to interact and develop effective relationships with a wide range of internal and external constituencies; strong networking and convening skills
- Experience in knowledge management and capacity development an advantage
- Business fluency in both English and German essential; additional languages an asset
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritise and deliver to tight and demanding timelines
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- High level of intercultural awareness and sensitivity
- Willingness to travel, if needed
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter (mentioning the source of the application) and CV in English (in one pdf-file) to: LegalCoordinatorPLCJob@transparency.org
Deadline for applications is Sunday, 6 January 2019.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted, planned no later than 18 January 2019.
Due to the high volume of applications it is unfortunately not possible to provide individualized feedback.
The international fight against corruption needs your expertise, your skills and experience, and your passion for social justice.
From our secretariat in Berlin and in more than 100 national chapters, Transparency International seeks professionals and volunteers with exceptional talent and commitment to join our efforts and make a contribution to a better world.