Chief of Party
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Application Deadline: April 1, 2019 or until a suitable candidate is found
The University of Massachusetts seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for a possible USAID-funded Higher Education Project to be implemented in Afghanistan. This project is part of an overall program to rehabilitate and strengthen the capacity of the higher education system in Afghanistan. The project works directly with Universities and the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) to improve professional and institutional capacity, strengthen the policy framework, and facilitate the development of a coordinated national higher education strategy.
We seek a skilled and experienced professional who is familiar with Afghanistan or other conflict-affected regions, and who has previous experience in management of large-scale USAID-funded projects. The COP will be responsible for all areas of the project, including its technical, material, financial, and human resource components and shall ensure that all project activities are coordinated in a timely and cohesive manner. The COP shall set standards for quality of work, for reliability, for ethical behavior and for creating and maintaining a positive and effective working environment for all staff. The COP will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This is a non-dependent post, with a duration of two-years, with option to extend. It is anticipated that the position would start on or about, September 1, 2019. A full set of benefits is provided including housing in Kabul and regular regional and international leave.
Leadership and management responsibilities
- Oversee all programmatic activities of the project, including: monitoring detailed work plans, facilitating monitoring and evaluation activities, and insuring that activities are focused on the components specified in the cooperative agreement.
- Provide oversight and coordination for all administrative, operational, human resource, and financial activities of the project in Afghanistan.
- Interface and liaise directly and extensively with USAID/Kabul on various project matters.
- In collaboration with UMass, ensure that all project procedures comply with provisions of the US Federal government, the agreement between USAID and UMass, and with UMass project policies and procedures.
- Be responsible for all in-country communications with Afghanistan’s Ministry of Higher Education.
- Be responsible for organizing – and sometimes writing, reviewing, and approving final versions of all required reporting to USAID.
Minimum qualifications and attributes
- Master’s or higher degree in area related to higher education development.
- Significant experience working in developing countries, particularly in conflict-affected regions, and ability to live and work in difficult and sometimes dangerous context.
- Knowledge of political and social features of Afghanistan or similar post-conflict countries and the issues involved in improving higher educational systems.
- Evidence of progressively responsible experience in program/project management and in leadership and management of development projects in international settings.
- Experience working on large-scale USAID-funded projects is desirable, preferably as COP or Deputy COP.
- Demonstrated high levels of maturity, emotional intelligence and ability to problem solve and interact well with others.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, managerial, leadership, communications and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
CVs and letters of interest must be submitted to the following email address for consideration. To facilitate review, please include names and contact information for relevant references. The Chief of Party title must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all individuals for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.