Position Title: Country Director, Afghanistan
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Contract: 1 year, renewable
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto.Working with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice, War Child Canada also takes an active role in raising public awareness around the impact of waron communities and the shared responsibility to act. War Child Canada currently works in Afghanistan, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Uganda and will be operational in the Middle East in 2014.
ContextWar Child Canada’s programming in Afghanistan advances the social and legal protection of highly vulnerable and at risk women and children, focussing on education, child protection, livelihoods and,most recently, access to legal justice. The country program is currently undergoing an expansion with recently secured programming funds for Kandahar, building on well-established, successful programming in Kabul and Nangahar since 2003 and working through a combination of local partners and direct implementation.
Position summaryThe Country Director has over all responsibility for leading and managing the growth plans for War Child Canada, providing oversight of the establishment of new programming and ensuring that programs and operations are consistent with its country strategy.The Country Director will actively seek opportunities for fund development and representation among key networks in Kabul to ensure the sustainability of the program.
Management and oversight of War Child Canada’s country program (25%)
- Develop annual plans and provide support and direction for implementation and follow-up of work plans for all project activities.
- Oversee the fulfillment and contractual obligations of all narrative and financial reporting requirements.
- Oversee the implementation of its Country Strategic Plan, in close collaboration with HQ and field staff.
- Enhance War Child Canada’s program through donor engagement, project design and proposal development, in collaboration with HQ.
- Responsibility for in-country fundraising with institutional donors.
Financial Management (15%)
- Overall responsibility for in-country budget and financial management, including reporting to headquarters.
- Maintain efficient financial controls, accountability standards, procedures and records.
- Prepare budget and monitor budget spending
Maintain network of contacts and representation (15%)
- Initiate and engage in extensive collaboration and consultation with local and central authorities, INGOs, national NGOs and local communities.
- Ensure appropriate communications, information exchange and sharing with local partners and with headquarters.
- Represent War Child Canada in meetings and coordination platforms in Kabul.
Human Resource Management (10%)
- Responsible for the oversight of all War Child Canada staff in the Afghanistan.
- Oversees the recruitment of local staff as necessary, with support from HQ.
- Maintain internal and external contacts with relevant parties and authorities related to security
- Monitor the security context of the country to manage and mitigate security risks.
- Regularly update and implement War Child Canada’s security procedures and plans in coordination with HQ.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or related subject
- Minimum of 5 years senior management experience including experience in strategic planning processes.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of gender and diversity issues.
- Knowledge of at least one of War Child Canada’s programming focus in Afghanistan.
- Demonstrated track record in successful fundraising and donor development strategies.
- Experience in project, financial and HR management ,including mentoring of national and international staff.
- Experience managing security in a conflict affected environment.
- Previous experience in Afghanistan strongly desirable.
Skills and abilities
- Fluency in written and verbal English. Dari or Pashtu is desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Detail oriented, strong organizational, analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Effective time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple time-sensitive priorities.
- Team oriented with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from a range of backgrounds.
- Strong writing and project management skills.
- Able to work sensitively in challenging and delicate environments.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Comprehensive benefits include travel to and from duty sites, vacation, regular R&R leave, accommodation and insurance as per War Child Canada contractual standards.
Application processINTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Country Director, Afghanistan – [insert your name]’
Deadline for applications: Friday August 15th 2014. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Protection Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit HERE