PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Health Technical Advisor (HTA) serves as a member of ARC’s
Technical Team and is stationed at ARC HQ in Minneapolis. Under the
guidance of the PDQ Senior Manager, the HTA provides timely, relevant
and substantive technical guidance and support to ensure the effective
development and implementation of quality health programs, based on best
practices and responsive to the major health burdens affecting targeted
countries/populations. The HTA consults with health teams in designated
country programs and provides technical guidance and support for
effective management of comprehensive and integrated health programs,
including new initiatives and proposal development.
The Technical Team works closely with ARC country programs, Program
Development and Regional Management teams in supporting under-resourced
communities and populations displaced by conflict or natural disasters
to recover, rebuild and build healthy, productive lives. ARC focuses on
ensuring quality and delivering results in Health, Nutrition,
Protection/GBV, WASH/Shelters, Economic Opportunities and Emergency
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Technical Assistance (40%)
- Technically support health team project leads and focal points in
the health assessment, design, planning, ongoing implementation and
monitoring of ARC’s current and new global/multi-country health
- Provide technical and programmatic support to ARC field staff,
including: program design, planning, reporting and training activities
related to Primary Health Care, Nutrition, MCH, SBC, Communicable
diseases, Procurement and supply chain management, M&E. Strengthen
technical assistance and support to the field through regular touch-in
calls, email exchange and field visits, as requested and planned.
- Work with country programs to develop sector specific strategies and
assist country teams to design technically sound log frames and work
plans to guide sector strategies.
- Disseminate and assist Country Programs to adopt best practices on
comprehensive health programs and help develop pilot projects for
testing new and innovative programming.
- Review and provide technical input on reports and other documents as needed (internal program reports and donor reports).
Strategic Development (30%)
- Work closely with Program Development Associates and country program
teams to manage proposal renewals and new business development,
including technical reviews and inputs for health and nutrition
components of proposals.
- Work with ARC country programs to produce accurate and high-quality
project proposals and reports; coordinate and lead proposal development
and submission process as needed.
- Work closely with ARC HQ and ARC country offices and programs and
facilitate the implementation and integration of global health
activities within country program initiatives.
- Work with non-traditional donors to raise awareness of ARC’s work and expand ARC’s outreach.
- Participate in global and regional health-related international
initiatives to represent ARC and promote ARC initiatives and partnership
- Work on strengthening relationship-building, exploring potential
collaborations and promoting integration to enhance ARC’s Primary Health
Care and Nutrition Programming. One new focus is on the expansion of
artemisinin resistance containment programming.
- Work with other Health and sectoral Technical Advisors, Senior
Manager of Program Development and Quality and senior country program
staff to identify and secure health specific funding opportunities
including institutional donors, research grants and alternative funding
streams (e.g. private donors).
Management and Supervision (15%)
- Act as focal point for designated health initiatives, working with main donors, providing TA and M&E support.
- Maintain regular communication with key health donors and provide
technical support to ARC’s health field sites to ensure that program
objectives and reporting requirements are met.
- Work closely with field team to ensure progress is made against key
indicators and discuss program improvements necessary to achieve
objectives. Provide assistance to health team project leads with
monitoring of centrally-funded health budgets.
- Assist with development of standard job descriptions for
international/national health positions and conduct/delegate health
employee orientations; conduct HQ interviews with new program staff,
interns and consultants as needed.
Quality Control (15%)
- Commission and undertake regular technical review visits to health
program sites in the field and support country program adherence to
global best practices.
- Provide initial technical approval of program proposals, reports,
specialist ToRs, evaluation and survey methodologies. (Final approval
will be by the Senior Manager of Program Development and Quality.)
- Stay abreast of state of the art developments in quality standards
and innovations relative to health programming, including donor
strategies and guidelines, and ensure timely circulation of information
and documentation to country programs.
- Contribute to the analysis and documentation of lessons learned from ARC Health programs.
- Ensure lesson learning is incorporated into relevant program plans and technical policy guidance.
- Ensure adherence to international and ARC agreed health policy and standards within each country program.
Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Masters in Public Health or related degree; clinical background a plus.
- 5 years of experience working with a humanitarian relief and development organization in related health programs.
- 3 years direct field experience at country level preferred.
- 2 years of experience with malaria control and prevention programming a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in project design and proposal development.
- Significant proven experience of managing technical health teams at
country level and supporting health programs through distance
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES:
- Experience with relief and development NGOs
- Superior writing, editing and communication skills.
- Team player, self-motivated, can-do attitude, willingness to be
flexible and take the initiative on tasks that may fall outside of
- Training facilitation experience a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in several of the following areas:
Malaria, TB, HIV, PHC, Nutrition, M&E, program planning and
implementation; gender sensitive approaches; training; participatory
methodologies; research and evaluation.
- Approximately 33% travel required.