Position Title: Consultant, Shelter Retrofitting and Earthquake Readiness Expert
Hiring Agency: American Red Cross
Contract Type/Duration: Part-time, task order based, 10 months with possibility of extension
Work Location: Jakarta, Sukabumi, Banyuwangi (up to 40% travel required)
Reports to: Country Representative (CR) Indonesia, Timor-Leste and Pacific
The American Red Cross (AmCross) helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises through mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. We are a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
AmCross in partnership with our implementing partner the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI), is launching a yearlong project focused on EQ Readiness in the cities of Sukabumi and Banyuwangi. The project’s objective is to improve earthquake preparedness in urban communities by increasing individual and community knowledge and engagement, strengthening PMI capacity and expanding public and private partnerships to enhance and ultimately influence earthquake related preparedness behaviors. We seek an expert in shelter retrofitting and earthquake readiness to serve in a technical, advisory role on the project. Work would be performed according to monthly task orders under an overarching 10-month task order based contract.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide project related technical advice to AmCross, PMI and other project stakeholders/consultants and service providers as follows:
- Developing site and beneficiary selection criteria
- Contribute to development of baseline and operations research TORs and tools
- Provide recommendations on selection and vetting of technical and implementation partners
- Provide input on partnership development strategy for earthquake resistant shelter
- Develop, review and adapt technical guidelines
- Provide input into behavior change communications campaign development and materials
- Assist in project monitoring
- Attend project meetings, provide presentations as required
- Provide trainings and facilitate workshops
- A degree preferably from a reputable accredited university in relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred
- 10 or more years relevant experience in technical advisory roles in the areas of shelter retrofitting and EQ readiness
- A recognized technical expert in both the Indonesian and international shelter sector
- Experience collaborating with relevant government of Indonesia (GoI) ministries and agencies (BNPB, Kemensos, KemenPUPR, National Shelter Sub-Cluster, etc.)
- Well networked with private sector and research institutions working on relevant shelter and preparedness issues
- Familiarity with USAID or USAID/OFDA funded projects
- Fluent in English and Indonesian (written and spoken) required
- Advanced computers skills (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
- Understanding of and/or experience with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement preferred
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae in English no later than 1 July 2019 to email@example.com . Place the position title in the subject line and include your name in all application files. Include in your application your availability, daily rate in USD and at least 3 references.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.