Education International, the Global Union Federation which represents over 400 organisations of teachers and other education workers throughout the world, has a vacancy for a Regional Coordinator, based the EI Asia-Pacific office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
As part of a small, dedicated, and multi-cultural team, the Regional Coordinator implements EI policies and activities at regional level, including the provision of assistance to organisations involved in development co-operation, (s)he maintains contacts with member organisations, reports to head office on regional developments and organises meetings of regional governing bodies. The Coordinator assists and works under the supervision of the Chief Regional Coordinator in fulfilling this role.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The person appointed will be required:
- To work, in collaboration with other EI staff at regional and head office level, in advocating and implementing EI policies and working programmes;
- To support remotely and/or to undertake missions to, and consultations with, EI member organisations in the region and regional governing and non-governing bodies;
- To participate in the development of co-operation development projects, to co-ordinate and assist in the implementation of such projects and to ensure the application of EI policies in respect of development co-operation activities;
- To assist in the preparation and organisation of EI Regional Committee and Regional Conference meetings and of other regional meetings, such as seminars, round tables, etc.;
- To acquire and maintain relevant professional knowledge and skills by participating in appropriate training and other activities as required from time to time.
- To develop, implement and maintain a communications strategy including media/social media plans to assist in promoting the objectives and highlighting the achievements of the organisation ;
- Regularly scan media and news and emerging research information on existing or newly launched activities/developments across the region examining potential campaign/media opportunities; and
to undertake such other appropriate tasks as are assigned from time to time;
- Self-motivated and systematic;
- Good organizational and analytical skills;
- Excellent team player and supports building strong team;
- Ability to collaborate and to work independently;
- Ability to prioritize and to work under pressure;
- Excellent inter-personal communications skills.
Education and professional experience
- A university degree or its equivalent in education or a field related to the duties and responsibilities;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential qualification for the post. A knowledge of other regional languages would be an advantage;
- Relevant experience and especially, experience of working with EI member organisations and/or in trade union and/or in international organisations and/or in development and cooperation and/or education area would be an advantage;
- Excellent communication and writing skill including drafting, editing and use of social media;
- Knowledge and skills in the use of the MS Office Suite and of the information technologies.
Salary and Conditions of service
An attractive salary and conditions package will apply to the post. Appointment will be to an appropriate point of Regional salary Scale depending on professional qualifications and experience. Details will be available on application.
All EI staff are accountable to the General Secretary, either directly or through designated staff members. If the needs of the organisation so require, staff members may be requested to perform appropriate duties related to another position, either on a temporary or permanent basis, provided that these duties correspond to the level of their position and that their professional experience and training is adequate. Position descriptions are not definite and may be adapted.
Applications, outlining in detail how the candidate meets the criteria set out above and containing details of professional qualifications and experience, and a writing sample should be submitted in confidence by e-mail to Rapha?l Van Woensel (firstname.lastname@example.org), in order to reach him no later than 5.00 p.m. (CEST) on June 15th, 2019. Candidates should also supply the names and contact details of two persons who are known to them and would be willing to supply professional references.