TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position : Construction Field Supervisor (consultancy, 100% – 2 positions)
Duty station/Country : Donggala Regency, Sirenja District, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
Reporting line : Project Manager Shelter & WASH
Starting date and duration : as soon as possible till end of March 2020
HEKS/EPER is partnered up with the Indonesian Organization Muhammadiyah Disaster Management Centre (MDMC) to respond to the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
For the recovery phase, a humanitarian program on construction of Transitional Shelter and WASH Facilities is implemented to support affected people mainly in rural areas in Central Sulawesi. HEKS/EPER is coordinating with the Swiss NGO Solidar with a shared office and close collaboration.
To monitor and guide the HEKS intervention, we are seeking two motivated, skilled and experienced technical consultants for the position of Construction Field Supervisor.
PURPOSE OF MISSION
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and in coordination with the other Field Construction Supervisors, he/she is responsible to supervise the construction of transitional shelters, core-house, WASH infrastructures and ensure the quality of the works according specific construction standards. The Field Supervisor provides support and technical guidance to the affected households, the communities and the implementing partners with the aim of contributing to build back better. He/she assist the beneficiaries for the reconstruction of their house through a Conditional Cash Transfer Program. He/she support the Project Manager for the preparation of IEC/ Information, Education and Communication materials and conduct trainings on construction techniques and safe building sensitization.
The Construction Field Supervisor will represent HEKS towards the partner organization, in coordination with other NGOs and the local authorities in the project’s location.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Construction Field Supervisor is entrusted with the following tasks:
- Ensure that applicable guidelines HEKS/EPER and the donor are followed;
- Representing HEKS/EPER in the project location;
- Maintain good relationships with government bodies and with other non-governmental organisations for humanitarian aid projects;
- Coordinate with the partner, clusters and other stakeholders on the field to ensure compliance and visibility of HEKS/EPER;
- Support HEKS Project Manager and the partner to prepare technical drawings, Bill of Quantities, cost estimates and technical specifications for any technical activities;
- Ensure the partner’s Construction Field Supervisors do rigorous daily on-site supervision;
- Monitor the work progress schedules, adopting any necessary change in order to meet agreed deadlines and budgets upon approval of HEKS Project Manager;
- Monitor construction works undertaken by the implementing partner, the community workers and the beneficiaries to ensure that the structures comply with quality/safety standards and approved designs;
- Support the partner for the content of earthquake resistant construction training and safe building sensitization for skilled and unskilled community workers and conduct the trainings;
- Support the partner to provide technical assistance and advice to local community and beneficiaries:
- In regard to safety demolition of damaged house to reuse material
- In regard to quality and specification of building materials and reuse
- In regard to general construction techniques
- In regard to earthquake resistant construction techniques
- Assess and analyse natural risks of land where shelters and core-house will be constructed and provide solution;
- Support the partner for the preparation of the implementation of water supply scheme and toilet rehabilitation/reconstruction and monitor the implementation;
Communication and coordination
- Proactively engage with local authorities, projects partners, community leaders and other relevant stakeholders to ensure good coordination, participation and proper and timely execution of planned activities.
- Able to quickly adapt to the work environment and culture of the local community of the target intervention areas and facilitated the communication flow with the beneficiaries and local authorities;
- Explain the principles of basic construction appropriately to beneficiaries with simple and not technical language;
- Able to absorb the aspirations of beneficiaries so that construction can be accepted and implemented by both parties and runs in accordance with established standards;
- Support the partner for the creation of the community construction committees, actively participate to the meeting and assist in resolving problems;
- Ensure HEKS-EPER and the donor visibility in the field according the guidelines;
- Provide on job training, mentorship and guidance to partner’s staff, to ensure best practice, Sphere standards and prioritizes the accountability to affected population;
- Advise and assist the partner organisation’s field team with attaining the set project goals and support them with their own organisational development;
- Ensure capitalization/knowledge management workshop for all projects;
- Strengthen partner’s staff capacities;
- Liaise, as necessary, with the logistics, admin and finance staff of the partner to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly;
- Provide administrative and logistical support to Palu staff and visitors;
- Support the partner to ensure appropriate storage network & stock management on the project location, the use of good receipt note at field level and quality control of the material.
- Assist the partner to coordinate & follow-up deliveries & liaise efficiently with suppliers for problem solving.
- Regularly update the Project Manager on project progress, plans, challenges and incidences orally and in writing in a frank and transparent manner;
- Provide daily, weekly, biweekly and monthly progress reports and plan upon request;
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure the adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standards (accountability commitments), the Sphere Standards and the donor Standards;
- Ensure that accountability standards are institutionalized within the project according the project’s proposal;
- Ensure the complaints and response mechanism is developed in a participatory manner and monitor;
- Monitor the project’s progress in the field and ensure the respect of the proposal;
- The consultant may be asked to perform duties and tasks not covered in this job description within the remit of his/her expertise, as well as to provide support to other areas when necessary.
- Higher Technical Education (University degree, Diploma in Civil Engineering or Architecture preferred) or at least 5 year of relevant working experience in the construction sector;
- At least 5 year of relevant working experience in the construction sector;
- Extensive experience in supervising construction and infrastructure works.
- Experience in Emergency and Rehabilitation SHELTER project management with international agencies is mandatory, experience in WASH project is an advantage;
- Experience in working in consortia and collaborating with partner organizations is an advantage;
- Excellent computer skills, especially in Excel and CAD software (Autocad, Sketch-up)
- Fluent English skills (written, spoken and reading).
- Willingness to accept to be based on the project location;
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries, partners and other stakeholders;
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve results effectively;
- Flexibility and Stress-management;
- Respect of HEKS/EPER mission and values.
DURATION AND STARTING DATE
We look for a candidate who can start as soon as possible, with contract duration till End of March 2020.
CONSULTANT MONTHLY FEE
The consultant monthly fee shall consider the following information:
- HEKS will cover the cost for Air Fares to/from Palu (beginning and end of contract) and transportation during working days.
- All Expenses such as accommodation, insurances, personal transport and taxes shall be included in the consultant’s monthly fee.
- Working time: 40 hours per week, from 8 am to 5 pm with 1h of lunch break.
- Insurance, Taxes: The consultant is responsible for taxes and any social insurance contributions. The Contractor shall maintain liability insurance at its sole expense covering the performance of the Services by the Contractor.
If you are interested in this assignment and meet the requirements, please send your application including detailed CV, copy of certifications and diplomas, your earliest availability and your monthly consultancy fee offer and contact details of 3 referees by e-mail with Subject “CFS-Sulawesi” to firstname.lastname@example.org by latest Sunday 15 June 2019 – 5 pm. Due to the urgency, the position will be filled on a rolling basis and candidate could be hire before the application’s deadline.
Candidates who do not submit the monthly consultancy fee and the earliest availability will be disqualified.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.