Harapan Project Officer
Reference number: SE-nqaSB1
Location: Bogor, Jawa, Indonesia
Hutan Harapan consists of c. 100,000ha of ex-logging concessions located in Sumatra, Indonesia. The company, PT REKI, was established to help restore Hutan Harapan’s ecosystem and as a tool for protecting threatened forests outside the government protected area network. PT REKI is governed by a not-for-profit foundation consisting of Burung Indonesia (BI), Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and BirdLife International (BLI).
As Harapan Project Officer, you will be based at Burung Indonesia in Bogor, Indonesia. You will work with the Senior Conservation Officer – International (Harapan), and the Partner Development Officer to support Burung Indonesia to plan and monitor the implementation of a multi-million Euros grant “Hutan Harapan: Supporting the sustainability of the first Ecosystem Restoration Concession (ERC) in Indonesia”. This will involve implementation planning and monitoring, budgeting and providing mentoring and training of staff. It will also include proposal writing and fundraising and helping to produce and implement a realistic business plan to secure the long-term financial sustainability of Hutan Harapan.
You will support the project management steering committee and work with the senior staff of the Hutan Harapan implementation team to ensure solid management structures, policies and procedures are in place.
- Thorough knowledge of international conservation issues, especially regarding tropical forests.
- Extensive experience in project implementation planning, management, budgeting, financial management, monitoring and reporting of large projects.
- Experience in supporting and coaching partners in project planning, governance, financial management and fund-raising.
- 4 Business acumen to establish business models to generate sustainable income for Hutan Harapan.
- Experience in analysing and improving organisational structures and systems.
- Ability to work in a team, manage people and motivate colleagues.
- Written and spoken communication skills to ensure mutual understanding of objectives and promote projects as appropriate.
- Diplomacy and negotiation skills to negotiate contracts, solve problems and avoid and overcome conflict.
The position will be for two years, based at the office of Burung Indonesia, Bogor, Indonesia with extensive travel to Hutan Harapan in Sumatra. You will be part of the Capacity Building and Project Team in the Global Land Department, line managed by the Senior Conservation Officer – International (Harapan).
This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. You will be asked to declare unspent convictions and cautions at offer of employment stage.
Salary starting at £25,463 to £27,585 per annum
Hours & contract information
Hours: Full time
Contract: 2 year fixed term contract
Closing date: 5 July 2019
Interview date: 16 July 2019
How to apply
Our role profile describes the key result areas and skills and experience needed for the role. Please make sure you include reference number SE-nqaSB1 on your application.
- Role Profile (Word 139Kb, requires Microsoft Word)
- Application details (Word 26Kb, requires Microsoft Word)
Who to contact
For questions about this post
+44 (0) 1767693377
Send application details to
The RSPB, The Lodge, Potton Road, Sandy, Bedfordshire, SG19 2DL, +44 (0) 1767693377