Policy & Regulation Manager – Forests, South East Asia
Location: Jakarta or Hong Kong
Job Purpose and Background
- Do you care about preserving our planet’s Forests?
- Would you like to work with policy makers and financial institutions to decrease deforestation?
- Do you have experience in policy and knowledge of Forests?
This role engages the intersection of the organization’s work on Policy and the Financial System, on the topic of Forests. You will develop and implement a program of engagement with policymakers and Financial Institutions (i.e. Capital Market Regulators, Central Banks, Supervisory Authorities) in South East Asia with the goal of addressing deforestation that results from international commodity trading. Your work forms part of a wider project being conducted by CDP with project partners following support from Norway’s Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD). This is an excellent opportunity to make a difference to our Forests in South East Asia.
Key responsibilities include:
Planning and delivering a program of policy engagement, outreach and advocacy activity relating to deforestation and commodities, to be delivered in South East Asia, with a particular focus on Indonesia, and securing buy-in to this plan from CDP’s global offices and its project partners;
- Coordinating and supporting the development of policy briefings about commodity-led deforestation, based on analysis of corporate disclosures to CDP combined with outputs from stakeholder workshops and original thought leadership;
- Analyzing and recording policy and regulatory developments in the field of deforestation and commodities, as well as identifying opportunities to engage and influence within the financial system and the regulatory space;
- Organizing events that bring together public and private sector participants from all the geographies involved in the project;
- Engaging and communicating pro-actively, effectively and in a timely manner all relevant actors involved in policy making processes
- Providing advice to CDP colleagues and management about deforestation policy issues on the Region;
- Preparing briefings and background documents for CDP senior management;
- Representing CDP externally.
Required skills and experience:
- Sound knowledge of deforestation and/or trade policy issues at international level (e.g. development of REDD+) and within South East Asia and ideally China;
- Experience in working with Financial Institutions and/or Sustainable Finance;
- Experience in working with governments and/or international organizations, including the development and dissemination of policy briefings;
- Experience in relationship management with a broad range of stakeholders, development of coalitions and partnerships
- Solid project management experience including working in an international and multi-cultural setting as well as across time zones
- Experience of working with qualitative and quantitative data to find relevant insights;
- Experience of events organization;
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written) and fluency in Bahasa Indonesia is strongly preferred.
This is a full-time role based at CDP office in Hong Kong (preferred) or remotely from Jakarta, Indonesia, reporting to the Director of SEA and with close collaboration with the Policy and Forests team. The role is for a fixed term contract until 28 February 2021, with the possibility of further extension. CDP will offer a competitive NGO salary and generous benefits. Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China or Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to email@example.com with ‘Policy & Regulation Manager – Forests, South East Asia’ in the subject.
The deadline is 6 pm GMT on Wednesday, 31 July 2019. Please note, we are sorry that only successful short-listed candidates will be contacted.