Direct Marketing Manager, Cash
Job Title: Direct Marketing Manager, Cash
Department: Global Individual Giving team
Salary: Competitive salary package
Location: Hong Kong or Home based (UK / Australia / US)
Job Type: Full Time Permanent
Founded in 1998 by Jill Robinson, from her home in Hong Kong, Animals Asia promotes compassion and respect for all animals and works to bring about long-term change. We work to end the barbaric bear bile trade, which sees over 10,000 bears kept on bile farms in China, and, according to official figures, almost 1,000 suffering the same fate in Vietnam.
Animals Asia has to date, rescued over 600 bears, caring for them at our award-winning bear sanctuaries in China and Vietnam.
Animals Asia also works to end the trade in dogs and cats for food in China and Vietnam, and lobbies to improve the welfare of companion animals, promote humane population management and prevent the cross-border export of “meat dogs” in Asia.
In addition, Animals Asia campaigns for an end to abusive animal practices in zoos and safari parks in Asia and works closely with governing authorities to improve animal management and increase awareness of the welfare needs of captive animals.
The Animals Asia Foundation is at a critical juncture in its development and has the opportunity to achieve one of its core goals within the next 5 years which is to end bear bile farming in Vietnam forever.
Animals Asia currently raises $12m (USD) through its global fundraising and communications program. With a goal of ending bear bile farming in Vietnam within the next 5 years on the horizon, there will be new investment in individual giving fundraising and a major brand awareness and fundraising marketing campaign from 2019 onwards.
Animals Asia currently operates a broad range of fundraising programs including regular giving, single gifts and major gifts, bequest and other community and corporate facing programs. The Individual Giving program contributes over 25% of the total gross income and works closely with the country offices, communications and program teams to achieve a range of organisational objectives.
The successful candidate will be joining a global Individual Giving team and will be responsible for implementing and delivering a global fundraising program to raise single gift income across multiple markets and increase the number of cash donors.
The Direct Marketing Manager, Cash is responsible for effectively managing and growing the single gift income and donor portfolio. They coordinate and communicate the program needs throughout the organisation and deliver a global acquisition and renewal appeals program. As part of the Individual Giving leadership, the Direct Marketing Manager, Cash is also responsible for the outcomes of the whole Individual Giving team.
- Design, plan and implement a data-led multi-channel fundraising program across donor acquisition and renewal for single gift income
- Plan and develop digital acquisition strategies working with the Head of Individual Giving and support the Digital Fundraising Executive in implementing these campaigns
- Develop and manage campaign budgets and revenue and non-financial targets
- Work with the Direct Marketing Manager, Regular Giving, to identify donors ready for cross-sell opportunities into the regular giving program (such as cash to regular giving conversion)
- Work closely with the Traffic and Production Manager to oversee the production process, including creative, copy and data, for mail, telemarketing, digital and other direct marketing campaigns
- Lead in the planning and development of the creative concepts and tactics, including case studies, design/layout, donation forms and marketing channels for individual giving campaigns
- Work closely with the Research and Insights Manager to deliver analytical campaign reports as well as overall program reports to inform future strategic and tactical decisions
- Ensure the implementation of an effective donor care and recognition strategy by working closely with the Supporter Care and Donor Development teams across the 5 country offices
- Drive the development of tailored supporter journeys for cash supporters With support of the Head of Individual Giving, ensure integration of the Individual Giving Program with other areas and channels of fundraising within Animals Asia such as event fundraising, corporate sponsorship and major gifts that are led by the country offices.
- Work with the Traffic and Production Manager to oversee the tender process and relationships with multiple print and production mail houses and other providers to ensure effective delivery of the cash program within budget
- Assist the Head of Individual Giving in the development of business cases including analysis, projections, costs/benefits, and recommendations
Data and Administration:
- Help to ensure an exceptional level of service and tailored supporter experiences are provided to supporters
- Use the supporter database competently and develop robust administrative processes to support donor activities and help to maintain the integrity of the database
- Develop and implement procedures around data management and selection criteria to deliver the global individual giving program and support the country office
- Together with the Direct Marketing Manager, Regular Giving, develop collection processes across the organisation to collect accurate and useful data
- Prepare, monitor and evaluate campaigns and monthly financial program reports
- Manage the Digital Fundraising Executive – setting priorities and strategies to deliver on plans and ensure achievement of goals and compliance to processes
- Manage Digital Fundraising Executive to successfully deliver agreed outcomes
- Ensure office procedures and processes support activity in a timely and efficient manner through the effective management of staff
- Participate in strategic planning across all global fundraising activities
- Participate in developing and improving highly effective communication and fundraising strategies across the Fundraising and Communications team
- Proactive attendance at team meetings, relevant seminars and staff meetings
- Proactive in keeping across new fundraising initiatives and trends in the sector
- Represent Animals Asia at internal and external functions and events as required
Experience, training & qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of direct marketing fundraising programs including acquisition, renewal, mid-value giving and legacy
- Ability to analyse data and convert findings and insights into operational outcomes
- Experience in briefing and managing external agencies and service providers
- Experience in managing the design and production of fundraising collateral
- Experience in managing a multi-channel donor renewal and acquisition program
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Marketing / fundraising qualifications or a tertiary degree in marketing, public relations, business or related area
- A passion for animal welfare and protection
- Possess passion, commitment and an understanding of best practice fundraising and a passion for working in the sector
Communication / interpersonal skills:
- Excellent understanding of direct marketing principles
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to write for and present to a variety of audiences
- Strong people skills with a high level of organisational awareness and ability to liaise with a broad and diverse range of stakeholders
- Be flexible, adaptable, people oriented with strong supporter care focus
- Commitment to professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
- Be able to take on accountability and to take the lead
- Proactive, with a “can do” attitude, always results driven to improve performance
- Ability to display initiative, common sense and diplomacy
- Well presented, articulate and polite
Knowledge and abilities:
- An exceptional understanding of direct marketing best-practice principles including return on investment goals, testing and segmentation strategies
- An understanding of the process required to support a comprehensive relationship marketing program and awareness of new initiatives and trends in the discipline
- Excellent ability to project-manage multiple campaigns, whilst maintaining exceptional attention to detail and remaining results driven to achieve budgets
- The ability to exercise initiative and effectively plan and prioritise work to meet deadlines, and to work calmly under pressure
- The ability to develop long-term plans and to analyse performance
- Strong computer literacy in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Proficient experience with Supporter360 – a NFP database highly valuable, but not essential
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in a complex environment as well as autonomously without close supervision
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative and to improve and enhance existing systems and procedures (quality assurance)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and comply with privacy requirements
- Demonstrated ability to work across diverse stakeholders.
Summary of position:
An opportunity exists for a motivated Direct Marketing Manager to join the Animals Asia fundraising team, overseeing all Cash programs.
The purpose of this senior role is to oversee the development of a strategic and integrated supporter relationship-marketing program and to raise the level of donor acquisition, retention and upgrade of individual donors.
Core responsibilities include the development, management and implementation of the donor programs (acquisition and renewal) and the effective donor acknowledgement and care communications to support these activities.
How to apply:
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post, and your suitability for this role, along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English in strict confidence BY EMAIL ONLY to email@example.com
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “Animals Asia-Direct Mkt Mgr- CASH” in the email subject line and please state how you found out about the job announcement.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 15th September 2019