Vacancy Code: VA/PRF/2019/ATSEA/005
Post Title: Regional Biodiversity Specialist
Duty Station: Bali, Indonesia
Position Type: Full-time
Post Level: Service Contract
Duration: Fixed-term of 2 years renewable annually subject to annual performance review
Partnerships in Environmental Management for the Seas of East Asia (PEMSEA) is an intergovernmental organization specializing in integrated coastal management and ocean governance for the Seas of East Asia. Beginning as a regional project in 1993 under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) with funding support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF), 11 countries in the region resolved to transform PEMSEA into a fully self-sustaining regional organization with a mission to foster and sustain healthy and resilient oceans, coasts, communities and economies across the Seas of East Asia through integrated management solutions and partnerships. PEMSEA’s mandate is to pursue implementation of an adopted regional marine strategy, the Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA).
Under the supervision of the ATSEA-2 Regional Project Manager, the Regional Biodiversity Specialist – a full time member of ATSEA-2’s Regional Program Management Unit (RPMU) – is responsible for the effective planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of biodiversity related program development and implementation is ATS littoral countries and across the ATS region, e.g. from work planning to technical support for the implementation to M&E reporting of biodiversity related activities. Biodiversity activities in ATSEA-2 include, but are not necessarily limited to establishment and improved management of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs); planning and implementation of Integrated Coastal Management (ICM); ecosystems-based adaptation (EbA) to climate change impacts; and conservation of marine mega fauna.
KEY FUNCTIONS/KEY RESULTS
- Guide the preparation of country work plans in accordance with the Project Document (CLICK HERE), including strategic and/or innovative initiatives to be undertaken for the delivery of project outputs and performance indicators in the assigned countries and regional activities covering Component 2 in the Project Document.
- Access assistance and/or provide technical support, training and coaching for the development and implementation of country work programs relating to Component 2 from other sections of the Regional Project Management Unit or other project partners, existing and newly developed Communities of Practice and collaborating projects and organizations.
- Organize and facilitate the conduct of various capacity development, training and knowledge sharing initiatives within countries, or as part of regional initiatives, in accordance with the outcomes in Component 2 of the Project Document, to ensure that the concerned managers and staff, Learning Centers and members of the Regional Project Management Unit and National Coordinator Units have the necessary skills, competence and support to implement the scheduled work/projects.
- Exercise quality control over the development and implementation of projects to make sure that these are aligned with national policies and priorities, and ATSEA-2 objectives and targets and closely monitor the progress, results and impacts of country efforts through monitoring, evaluation and preparation of site level and national and regional progress reports.
- Oversee the development of annual work plans and budgets, financial allocations and expenditures for Component 2 activities of the project in the assigned countries and across the region, and ensuring most effective use of the resources.
- Co-organize and participating actively in regular stakeholder meetings and project review sessions at the national and regional levels.
- Arrange for the conduct of periodic program monitoring field visits to provide technical and operational support and guidance, and to transfer knowledge and skills to the local counterparts in the countries of assignment.
- Foster operational and policy linkages and sharing of lessons learned between and among ATSEA member countries, Partners and collaborators, GEF, UNDP and institutions in the region involved in the country program.
- Identify and promote opportunities for public-private partnership arrangements, involving national, provincial and local governments, donors, international organizations and the corporate/business sector, including scaling up of ATSEA programs, replication of best technologies/practices and investments in biodiversity conservation, sustainable fisheries and alternative livelihoods, ICM, pollution reduction and climate change adaptation/ecosystem based adaptation facilities and services.
- Actively network, acquiring access to global best practices, documenting them and sharing with national and regional ATSEA stakeholders for optimum delivery of project outputs
- Keep abreast of the national and regional environmental concerns and priorities as well as the socio-economic conditions and trends and relating their impact on ATSEA and its programs in the region as well as in the respective countries.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- At least a master’s degree, PhD preferred, in environmental science, coastal area
management, biodiversity conservation, or another related discipline.
- At least ten years of development work experience, preferably in the ATS region, and with field experience.
Practical experience in coastal area management, biodiversity conservation and
climate change adaptation is essential.
- Familiarity with the policies, programs and operating styles of local, provincial and national governments that are participating in the project.
- Languages: Fluency in the English language, with effective oral and written communication
- skills. Some Bahasa, Portuguese, Tetun, and/or Tok Pisin would be an advantage
- IT Skills: Proficiency in the use of various software applications (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and Financial Systems) and adequate knowledge and practical experience in handling web- based management systems.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Qualified candidates may submit their application together with complete Curriculum Vitae to the Recruitment Officer, via email to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and post title when applying (in the subject line) by email. The deadline for submission of application is 6 September 2019.