The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
About the role
The role of the Operations Manager, SEE Asia, is an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest in the operational aspects of a non-profit organisation. It offers a chance to develop competence in a range of operational functions needed to support a dynamic, international team. The role suits a candidate with experience in operations and/or financial management, project management, contracting, or administration.
This role will provide operational support and guidance to a team of professionals in multiple locations across Southeast and East Asia. The position is an excellent opportunity to work within an international team and to build skills in a variety of areas related to operations, including administrative processes, financial management, HR support and reporting. Proven abilities to effectively work as part of a remote team is crucial as this role will require strong collaboration with a wider team across the region. This role reports to the Southeast and East Asia Manager and works in close collaboration with team members across the region as well as internationally.
As Operations Manager, SEE Asia, you will be responsible for:
- Developing, implementing, monitoring and supporting operational processes for regional teams
- Supporting the regional manager and local team leads with budgeting and financial management
- Liaising with consultants and suppliers, including drafting and reviewing contracts, performing due diligence checks, supporting audits
- Coordinating and contributing to monitoring and evaluation, including funder and internal reporting
- Offering guidance and hands on support to the Southeast and East Asia Manager and wider team across the region with ongoing general operational tasks in a variety of areas (contracting, proposals, reporting, financial management, processes etc.)
- Ensuring the smooth collaboration on all operational aspects between regional teams and the central operations team
- Logistical support for major team events (in collaboration with team members)
- Being a primary contact person for local teams as well as partners and stakeholders for day-to-day operational questions
- Other appropriate duties as assigned
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in operations work and commitment to excellence
- 5+ years of professional experience in the fields of financial management, budgeting, operational processes and/or administration in both local and international context
- Excellent communication and English language skills, both written and verbal; other regional languages a plus
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with a proven ability to take initiative, and prioritise tasks
- A creative problem-solver with a hands-on attitude
- Fast-learning self-starter comfortable to work in a dynamic international environment
- Good sense of judgement and discretion
- Strong computer skills and IT affinity: advanced user of MS Office programs, familiar with cloud-based collaboration
- Excellent attention to detail and appreciation of the vital role of administrative tasks
- Flexible and able to work unusual hours from time to time, due to challenges of being part of an international (remote) team
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust international community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to climate and energy issues
What we offer
The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A full-time consultant contract for one year, with view to renew subject to funding
Bangkok (preferred), Singapore, Jakarta or Tokyo. Some domestic and international travel required. We will not provide support for relocation. Home office can be an option for the right candidate.
As soon as possible
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV (English, max. 2 pages) and a one page cover letter addressing the job criteria and your earliest availability, as well as fees to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday, 31 January 2020 at 5pm (Jakarta Local Time). Applications will be considered until the role is filled, early applications are encouraged. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.