Women on Web International Foundation is looking for a Manager of Operations based in Canada who can provide leadership for the operation of Women on Web. The Manager of Operations must be a good communicator; know how to motivate people; cultivate a collaborative working environment and have strong, demonstrated management skills. The operational manager will be responsible for day to day management and control as well as for executing the goals and objectives of the organization. The Operations Manager will implement strategies established by the Executive Director and by the board of directors. The Manager of Operations will continually evaluate the effectiveness of all operations; maintain effective personnel structure; coordinate major activities; and represent the Organization to regulatory bodies, agencies, community and civic organizations, donors, funders, supporters, and the general public.
The Manager of Operations, reporting primarily to the Executive Director as well as to the board, will be a member of the management team, and responsible for creating and implementing operations policies and procedures; developing and managing IT, human resources, and financial systems; and coordinating internal operations and updates of and adherence to organizational policies. The manager of operations will work in close collaboration with the helpdesk coordinators, medical director, executive director and others to enable effective and efficient administration and operations.
Manager of Operations
- Provide inspired leadership for the organization and lead the organization to achieve organizational goals.
- Oversee and maintain the critical systems (Finance, HR, and IT) functions for Women on Web International Foundation.
- Work with the ED and board to determine values and mission and assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity, policy, planning, and strategy decisions.
- Create a team atmosphere and structure that promotes self-directed work
- Establish organizational structures. Delegate tasks and accountabilities.
- Support and improve external communication and internal work processes
- Organize regularly scheduled board meetings and strategy sessions.
Operations and Policy:
- Work as part of the management team to ensure strong coordination of organizational work planning and work priorities.
- Draw up an annual plan for the staff based on management plans;
- Mentor staff, promote staff retention and maintain internal discipline and morale.
- Implement and manage operational and outreach plans.
- Develop, implement, oversee, review and improve operational policies and procedures as determined in support of organizational goals and in keeping with the relevant legislation.
- Ensure security, network infrastructure, resource allocation, and to maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Supervise and ensure highest quality service provision.
- Monitor, manage and improve the overall functioning of the origination.
- Facilitate coordination and communication within the organization. Ensuring that communication within the organization is ongoing and utilized to maintain a safe working environment, inclusiveness, performance, high morale and continuous improvement.
- Identify relevant internal and external developments in relation to the implementation of the organizational goals and translate these into improvement and policy proposals for the director and board
- Participate in project groups/meetings/networks related to the development and implementation of organizational policy.
- Supervise finances and oversee annual audit compliance
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations
- Prepare and monitor the operational budgets
- Monitor the implementation of the annual plan,
- Supply (monthly) reports and financial accountability;
- Coordinate operational budget and reports and supply financial and administrative components for ongoing grant proposals and reporting needs;
- Identify and recommend opportunities to reduce operation expenses and improve efficiency.
- Ensure timely payments in accordance with the financial and other policies of the organization.
- Ensure that the financial affairs of the organization are in good health and that financial policies and processes are followed.
- Identify financial developments and problems, suggest solutions and implement adjustments after approval by the director;
- make proposals to improve procedures.
- Develop, lead and implement Human Resource policy, including recruitment and selection, annual reviews and education and act as primary liaison
- Oversee all service level agreements to ensure smooth operations
- Conduct compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis
- Work in collaboration with the team to assist in managing conferences and as well as internal retreats and strategic meetings
- Oversee the organizational insurance policies
Experience and Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum five (5) years of management/leadership working in operations in the NGO sector or at the grassroots or mid-size level.
- Masters Degree in a related field or equivalent training and experience; advanced degree considered an asset.
- HR certificate or accounting designation.
- A very high level of written and spoken fluency in English; other foreign languages considered an asset.
- Additional Requirements
- Commitment to mission and values of Women on Web International Foundation
- The ability to work alone and take a lead when hurdles arise or when tasks require completion
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Adapting to the ever-changing environment and reacting quickly to meet challenges.
- Stress tolerance
- Ability to live with and respond to intense controversy
- Experience in interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, and mediation skills
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills, including working with varied levels of staff, budgeting, delegation, staff development, resource allocation planning, and performance management
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate, communicate, influence, and partner effectively
- Ability to build consensus and relationships within organization
- Solid understanding of financial management
- Proven ability and proficiency with online bookkeeping systems; MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint especially), and willingness to acquire experience with other systems as needed
- Experience working for abortion services or sexual and reproductive health and rights organization or experience managing in the not-for-profit/charitable sector
- Assertiveness and strong drive to develop those around you
- Demonstrated integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic, and empathy;
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with team members in different countries and with different levels of responsibility;
- Willingness to travel (10-20% of the time) and work often outside of normal business hours.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
As an employer we are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion for both gender and race as well disability. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicant’s needs throughout the recruitment process.
Salary scale comparable to scale 9 of CAO Huisartsen (GP’s) in Netherlands = 3498 euro per month or 5.062,49 CAD)
Applications should include a letter of no more than two pages expressing your interest, and a detailed resume. These should be in PDF format and attached to an email sent to Women on Web International Foundation attention: Rebecca Gomperts at the following email address: email@example.com and copied to: firstname.lastname@example.org.