The primary purpose of Scientist (Aquaculture Scaling System) is to lead research around design, scaling and adoption of improved aquaculture technology in the WorldFish Sustainable Aquaculture Program and related bilateral aquaculture projects in the CGIAR research program on fish agri-food systems (FISH CRP). The research will aim at analyzing, from multiple dimensional points of view, the design, dissemination and adoption processes in aquaculture across different countries and social, economic and social contexts.
The post holder will conduct research on the integration of technological improvement in fish feed, fish breeds and health into sustainable aquaculture systems and systems for scaling. He/she will specifically focus on dissemination systems for improved tilapias and carp polyculture systems, playing an active role in coordination among research and development partners, including private sector partners in selected countries. This requires alignment of the research with bilateral projects, and ensuring coordination and consistencies of methodologies and communications across countries and projects and work in close collaboration with WorldFish country teams.
- Develop analytical frameworks to assess approaches to aquaculture technology design, disseminations and adoption.
- Lead and coordinate research in multi-countries around dissemination of GIFT tilapia and carp, fish feed and health technologies.
- Focal point for the FISH CRP in engaging with CGIAR partners in integration of aquaculture into other CGIAR initiatives (eg integrated rice-fish systems; the Dry Arc Initiative, a 2030 CGIAR initiative led by ICARDA).
- In collaboration with the M&E team, develop methods and tools to evaluate and measure pro-poor, gender responsive and market oriented dimensions within the innovation and adoption processes object of WF research.
- Leading the analysis and evaluation of different strategies to scaling technological and non-technological improvement in fish health, fish breed and feed.
- Developing new and supporting existing innovation system research plans and activities for scaling aquaculture FISH CRP and WorldFish innovations in focal and scaling countries.
- Building capacity, skills and knowledge of researchers and strategic partners within and without the organization in system approach and innovation platforms strengthened.
- Publishing research papers in quality scientific journals and ensuring that research findings are communicated to the larger scientific and development practitioner community.
- Developing new research proposals and projects in FISH focal and scaling countries.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- PhD in Aquaculture Systems, Agricultural Economics or any other related discipline.
- At least three years of relevant postdoctoral research experience in developing innovation platforms and partnerships.
- Proven competency with qualitative and/or quantitative research analytical tools, methodologies and analyses, with demonstrated ability to link social and environmental systems such as community-based management, governance, rural development, agriculture or fisheries, gender and equity, food and nutrition security.
- Proven scientific writing skills with record of accomplishment of high quality scientific reports and experience in leading or co-authoring scientific journal articles.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity and proven record of effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, diverse teams particularly in developing countries.
- Good leadership and mentoring skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi task, including experience in leading or managing donor-funded projects (reporting writing and budget management).
- Excellent communication skills and high proficiency in written and spoken English.
- A good professional network (including private sector).
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of business models and private sector.
- Experience in mobile and digital approaches to research, data analysis and to support extension services.
- Ability to lead and facilitate field work and lead project research team in countries of WorldFish interest.
- Ability and desire to travel and spend lengthy periods of time at field level.
- Ability to train and mentor especially younger scientists and other research and development partners.
Salary and Benefits
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 55,000 – USD 58,000 gross per annum. WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a 3-years period, with possibility for renewal depending on performance and the availability of funding. Interviews will be held via video conference and the successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 22 January 2020:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start as soon as possible, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.