A Task under the Economic Growth Support Activity
To seek a Gender Expert to provide consultant service to provide measures, gap, potential and analysis in the areas where EGSA works
USAID Indonesia awarded Devtech sys inc with an executed task order No. 72049719F00006 Economic Growth Support Activity (EGSA). EGSA project effective date was on November 1, 2019. EGSA project will work in close collaboration with USAID, with several objectives as follows:
- Enable evidence-based decision making through ongoing analysis linking the Indo-Pacific Strategy (IPS), Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR), and Government of Indonesia (GOI) priorities and potential USAID/Indonesia assistance under USAID/Indonesia’s next Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS).
- Increase and improve GOI technical capacity in tax collection, public expenditure, and financial accountability.
- Improved business enabling environment for foreign and domestic business entities
- Broad-based economic growth across all sectors is essential to sustainable and inclusive long-term development. It creates opportunities to reduce poverty, expand access to basic services and enables countries to chart their own prosperous futures. Economic Growth programming is central to USAID’s Private Sector Engagement (PSE) strategic approach that consults, strategizes, aligns, collaborates, and implements with the private sector for greater scale, sustainability, and effectiveness of development or humanitarian outcomes.
- EGSA (Economic Growth Support Activity) is a task driven project that supports USAID-Indonesia in determining targeted areas for technical assistance under the Mission’s next Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS), strengthen working relationship with central government ministries in support of future collaboration with USAID/Indonesia and identifying partners to support and leverage their activities with the Government of Indonesia (GOI), donors, and the private sector.
- EGSA’s main areas of work are: (i) Public Financial Management (assisting GOI in strengthening its capacity with respect to effective tax collection and execution of the budget); (ii) Economic Growth (enable evidence-based decision making through ongoing analysis linking the Indo Pacific Strategy, Journey to Self-reliance, GOI priorities and potential USAID/Indonesia assistance under USAID/Indonesia’s next CDCS); and (iii) Business Enabling Environment (improved business enabling environment for foreign and domestic business entities)
Objective of Gender Expert
The Gender Expert will ensure that gender assessment and integration are mainstreamed in EGSA’s work program by working with the EGSA core team by:
- Ensuring that gender considerations are fully considered in performing donor mapping and in identifying areas for future EGSA or USAID assistance;
- Providing guidance to EGSA team on ensuring and reporting on appropriate balance in EGSA tasks, setting up monitoring and evaluation systems, and tracking EGSA tasks with breakdowns of beneficiaries by sex, disadvantaged groups, and geographies.
- Seek opportunities to promote the equitable professional development of women in assisted GoI institutions project in the policy level and or implementation level.
- In coordination with the Chief of Party with PFM, EG and BEE expert:
- Identify specific EG areas of intervention that can promote gender-informed policies, laws, regulations, and administrative practices that are aligned with the USAID’s Women Economic Empowerment, Women Global Development and Prosperity, and GOI priorities and target closing the gender economic gap
- Assess an Indonesian economic sector from gender perspective
- Asses the equitability, effectiveness, efficiencies of the EG projects against principles of good Gender equality including develop specifics tool to assess interventions on the opportunities to reduce biases or risks embedded in fiscal, economic and tax policies, systems and procedures
- Develop recommendations to improve the data collected for monitoring and evaluation purposes be sex-disaggregated and surveys and other monitoring and evaluation tools used or proposed must include questions to elicit information enabling differentiation of impact based on gender
- Provide team with inputs from the gender integration perspective when necessary
- Organize and facilitate group discussion, Interview stakeholders in Indonesia to identity opportunities to strengthen work in the PFM, EG and BEE work that may bring about better inclusion of women and other underserved groups
- Participate in the debriefs to the designated USAID/Indonesia staff and relevant USAID/Indonesia implementers of economics growth activities of the assessment’s chief findings and recommendations
- Support the Chief of Party in preparing the final report, responding to comments received from USAID/Indonesia and Devtech
- Travel within Indonesia as required
- Assessment report on targeted gender analysis of the Indonesian economic sector, specifically looking at constraints to women’s empowerment, participation in labor, and women-owned SME participation in the economy.
- Assessment report which sets forth analysis, findings and recommendations of the specifics interventions to reduce biases or risks embedded in fiscal, economic and tax policies, systems and procedures
- Recommendation for gender informed M&E mechanism and practices
- A university degree (Masters or equivalent is preferred) in gender study / development studies / international relations / social science/ political science or in any other related discipline.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in gender study / development studies / international relations / social science/ political science in the Indonesian context may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Possessing advanced and up-to date knowledge of gender integration issue in the economic space in Indonesia as demonstrated with work experience and recent publications.
- Having experiences working on USAID projects is preferred.
Level of Effort:
The estimated durations of this activity for consultant is up to 60 days from April – September 2020
Please kindly submit your application to email@example.com by 27 March 2020.