Plan is one of the top 5 international children’s development
organisations. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia
and the Americas to promote child rights, and lift millions of children
and their communities out of poverty. We’re transforming the way we work
and are determined to become ‘One Plan’ – an even more effective,
efficient and collaborative organisation, whose individual parts all
strive towards our ‘One Goal’ to reach as many children as possible.
Plan believes that gender equality is central to achieving our vision
for change: a world in which all children, both girls and boys, realize
their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and
dignity. Plan aims to actively promote gender equality in every sphere
of our programmes, partnerships and organisational culture. Plan
recognises that targeted and strategic investments in the promotion of
gender equality can improve the quality of programmes, and significantly
contributes to poverty reduction and the realisation of human rights.
This view is central to Plan’s flagship because I am a Girl Campaign.
Research on gender equality and girls’ rights relevant to Plan’s commit to gender equality.
Influence key internal and external stakeholders to support Plan’s
work on gender equality and girls’ rights. Support the Because I am a
Girl campaign through technical guidance and input.
Management of gender equality initiatives and staff, including the
administrative support to the Global Gender Equality and Inclusion
The post holder contributesto internal and external
research initiatives, including identifying new research opportunities,
to ensure Plan is seen as an expert in gender equality and children’s
rights.Specifically, the post holder:
The post holder influences internal and external stakeholders with up-to-date and technical guidance on gender equality.Specifically, the post holder:
- Develops presentations, speeches, briefing notes, and other
materials for external and internal stakeholders on gender equality.
- Represents Plan’s work on gender equality at local and international meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Manages partnerships with key stakeholders and disseminates information on Plan’s gender equality work.
- Provides technical guidance on gender equality to the Policy,
Advocacy and Campaigns (PAC) team. Ensures gender equality is
appropriately mainstreamed into global and regional policy and advocacy
strategies. Ensures gender equality is strongly positioned in Plan’s
post-2015 work. This also includes being the gender focal point on the
PAC team, attending quarterly meetings in-person, and attending monthly
meetings virtually. Responsible for disseminating PAC news and updates
to the gender equality team on an ongoing basis.
- Provides technical input and support to the development of policy position papers, including the SRHR position paper.
The post holder provides guidance and technical support to the Because I am a Girl (BIAAG) campaign.Specifically, the post holder:
- Provides input, guidance, and leadership on the BIAAG monitoring
and evaluation reporting process, including helping to develop the
reporting template, analysing the data, writing sections of the report
with a focus on advocacy, and providing editorial support.
- Provides research and writing support to BIAAG reports, including
contributing to the State of the World’s Girls Reports and the Global
Youth Voices report. (See outcome 1.1. for further details.)
- Works with the BIAAG pillars on key milestone events throughout the
campaign, including the International Day of the Girl, UNGA, CSW,
report launches, etc.
The post holder provides programme management of gender Initiatives.Specifically, the post holder:
- Oversees the production process and dissemination of key documents
for global gender equality initiatives (i.e. Planting Equality/Plan
Academy, etc.). This includes working closely with translators,
designers, and Plan’s Communications and Publications teams.
- Disseminates information on gender equality and research
initiatives to internal and external stakeholders, including to the
Global Gender Equality Reference Group (GGERG) and Global Gender Network
(GGN), through Planet, the gender equality newsletter, in-person
- Manages and supports consultants working on Plan’s gender
initiatives. This includes oversight of all consultancy contracts and
- Hires and manages gender equality interns and provides supervision
on an on-going basis. Works with interns to ensure that administrative
support is provided effectively for the global gender equality and
inclusion advisor and team.
Communications and Working Relationships:
This post works closely with:
- Internal stakeholders, including the global Because I am a Girl
team, GGERG, Global Gender Team, Global Gender Equality Advisor, Gender
Equality Interns, and the PAC team at IH.
- External partners of the Because I am a Girl campaign, including UNGEI, UNICEF, and other key stakeholders.
- External stakeholders and gender equality players, including INGOs,
UN bodies, think tanks, academic and research institutions.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviours, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- Educated to at least graduate degree level (Master’s Degree), preferably in gender and development
- Years of previous professional experience, preferably in gender equality and/or development
- Knowledge of global on-line networks and key external gender
equality players, including INGOs, UN bodies, think tanks, academic and
- Strong research ability, particularly in gender analysis as well as advocacy and policy
- Experience in project management
- Experience with supervising 1-2 staff
- Organised and able to multi-task in order to manage various deadlines
- Information gathering, assessment and presentation skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience managing budgets and financial records
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative and work independently
- Good listening skills and capacity to work effectively with others, including managing external relationship with partners
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Valid passport and available to travel internationally (15-25%).
Type of Role: Permanent Position
Reports to: Global Gender Equality and Inclusion Advisor
Salary: Competitive( Canadian Dollar’s)
Closing Date: Wednesday 3rd September, 2014
Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
References will be taken and background and Anti-terrorism
checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection
Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively
encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the
Please note you must have the right to work in Canada to apply for this position.
Successful candidates will be invited to attend an interview W / C 8th September, 2014
Please apply via our website: HERE