Closing date: 12 Dec 2016
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional non-profit foundation with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce the impact of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC’s activities is Asia with the South, South East and East Asia being the primary sub-regions.
ADPC has more than 30 years of working experience in Asia along with the national and local Government of its charter member countries as well as countries of the Regional Consultative Committee (RCC) on Disaster Management.
ADPC addresses the region’s preparedness needs in development of capacities and promotion of learning; dissemination of information and knowledge management; provision of technical and advisory services; implementation of pioneering regional programs; preparations and follow up of global and regional mechanisms; establishment of new regional mechanisms; support for inter-agency coherence and coordination and catalytic facilitation and partnership to sub-regional mechanisms. ADPC works to build preparedness at all levels, from regional, to national, to sub-national and even to individual communities.
SERVIR is a global program that provides scientific and technical know-how to help developing countries use geospatial information and technologies to achieve sustainable development. SERVIR-Mekong will promote the use and availability of publicly available satellite imagery and related geospatial decision-support tools/products to help key stakeholders and decision makers in Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam better predict and manage floods and other natural disasters, improve agricultural risk management, manage land-use more sustainably, and help governments and communities increase resilience to the negative effects of climate change. Funded by USAID, and with lead scientific and technical support from NASA, SERVIR-Mekong is being implemented by the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) with inputs from consortium partners Spatial Informatics Group, Stockholm Environment Institute, and Deltares.
Statement of Intent:
The GIS Developer will report directly to the GIS & Metadata Officer. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with the SERVIR-Mekong Science team in developing geospatial tools, promoting improved information sharing, engaging in capacity building activities, maintaining SERVIR-Mekong data portal, and other tasks related to GIS and remote sensing.
It is not the intent of this Position Description to cover every aspect of the position requirements, rather to highlight the most important areas of personal and joint responsibility.
Required Qualifications and Specification:
- The GIS Developer of SERVIR-Mekong will have the following minimum qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, GIS, Geography, Engineering, or a related field.
- Programming: Programming skills in any two of the following technologies: Python, SQL, C++, Java, Clojure, ASP.NET MVC. Exposure to GIS Programming, Web Development & Design, Software Application Development, Software Application Lifestyle during semester projects or in degree project should be highlighted in the CV and would be considered as a plus. Priority will be given to those who have extensive Java or Clojure experience.
- Spatial Analysis Exposure to at least two GIS/RS packages in techniques to manipulate, extract, locate and analyze geographic data. Knowledge of GIS Analysis, GIS Modeling, Data Integration & Conversion, Data Analysis, Geocoding, Geomatics is essential.
- Database management: GIS database design and management using both ESRI and open source technologies. Knowledge on how to store and extract information from structured sets of geographic data is required.
- Development and documentation of code in English is required.
- Ability to understand complex use case requirements in English.
- Ability to communicate in English complex issues and potential solution sets
- Understanding of and/or willing to learn math and statistical analysis
- Good IT technical skills
- The ability to think and solve problems
- Ability to learn new programming languages and styles including literate programming
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with GIS & Metadata Officer, to translate the models into algorithms and scripts.
- To develop UI/UX around the scripts on multiple platforms.
- Ensure that SERVIR-Mekong code repository is versioned and maintained on GitHub
- Troubleshoot bugs and errors during the SDLC and maintenance lifecycle
- Provide technical supports on SERVIR-Mekong tools development, as well as help ensure effective and efficient coordination of activities and inputs to achieve project objectives.
- Contribute to strengthening and creating new relationships with partner agencies.
- Contribute to proper documentation of procedures and processes developed under SERVIR-Mekong.
- Provide technical supports to the SERVIR-Mekong Science Team on training courses, workshops, and other capacity-building activities in the planning, delivery, and follow-up phases, as needed.
- Participate in meetings related to SERVIR-Mekong objectives, especially GIT functions.
- Travel as needed to countries in the Lower Mekong to coordinate the implementation of activities related to SERVIR-Mekong objectives.
- With permission from the Supervisor, provide technical resource inputs under key specialized areas to all other departments, as required
- With permission from the Supervisor, participate in corporate functions and external events
- Foster the one ADPC concept across the organization through
- Program delivery,
- Resource allocation,
- Shared accountability, and
- Inter-departmental collaboration
This job description covers the general responsibilities and representative tasks of this position. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to program priorities and needs.
Reporting, Communications, and Work Relationships:
- Reports to the GIS and Metadata Officer.
- ADPC and implementing partners: Interacts on a regular basis with Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Science and Data Co-Leads, other full time and part time SERVIR-Mekong program staff.
- USAID: Coordinates and consults with SERVIR-Mekong Coordinator and RDMA Science technical assistance on relevant issues as needed
- NASA: Coordinates and consults with SERVIR Coordination Office and the broader NASA Science community as needed
- Consortium Technical Partners: Coordinates and consults with SERVIR-Mekong consortium technical partners to ensure effective, efficient, and timely delivery of agreed inputs and products
- Other SERVIR Hubs: Coordinates and consults with SERVIR Coordination Office and USAID to link science deliverables and lessons learned with other hubs (as needed)
- In close coordination and consultation with GIS & Metadata Officer, serve as the point of contact for open data portal related technical inquiries from and inputs by external individuals, agencies/institutions/organizations, when required
Contract: One year contract with possibility of extension.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested Candidates, please submit the completed ADPC application form, (downloadable from HERE), resume, copy of diploma(s) and certificate(s) together with a cover letter, to email@example.com
Human Resources and Administration
979/69, 24th Floor
SM Tower, Paholyothin Road
Samsen Nai, Phayathai
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.