We are looking for an enthusiastic Digital Communication and Marketing Specialist to join our Communications and Marketing Department. WorldFish, a unique and well-respected international research organization with a mission to inform and influence solutions to global challenges, such as food security, nutrition, poverty, ocean governance, climate change and gender equality through high-quality science and strong research evidence on sustainable aquaculture and fisheries.
WorldFish’s communication relies on a decentralized system across various geographies where working with Country Offices, Regional Projects and Global Research Programs such as the CGIAR Research Program on Fish Agri-Food Systems (FISH) and Partners is essential to ensure coherence and maximize outreach. WorldFish’s visibility online, brand recognition and inbound traffic have helped improve brand loyalty and authority and helped search engine rankings.
Your role is to proactively engage the various external and internal audiences WorldFish and the FISH through the creative use, development, management and implementation of key digital tools and products, including a revamped website, social media, targeted e-marketing campaigns, multimedia content, etc.
You will have the opportunity to work with World-Class Scientists, engage with policy makers, donors and development practitioners across Africa, Asia and the Pacific to deliver a step change in understanding and practice of innovative research approaches to incorporate fish in the global development agenda, and to build sustainability into our food and agriculture systems, in a way that benefits some of the poorest and most marginalized communities.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing and work closely with the Director General’s Office, we are looking for an incumbent who is creative and results-oriented, digital native with excellent communication and presentation skills as long as outstanding planning and coordination abilities across different geographical locations. You will also provide editorial guidance for marketing and promoting our science publications and coordinate the activities and content development and dissemination through WorldFish’s network of communications officers and partners’ communication focal points.
Who are you?
The ideal candidate is a digital savvy with strong start-to-end digital project management skills and the ability to build, nurture and leverage engaged online audiences and communities of practice in order to build and strengthen the organization’s brand and position in the digital space, and enable effective communication about the organization, its work and its achievements.
With excellent writing, copy editing and proofreading skills and sound technical ability, you are able to create high quality written and multimedia content and manage our video, audio and photography resources.
In addition, you love sharing your knowledge with others and supporting members of your team with digital communications activities, including training/coaching where necessary.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for someone with the enthusiasm, inspiration and ambition to make WorldFish the place to go for evidence, insights and knowledge on sustainable fisheries and aquaculture with impact on the global sustainable development agenda.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Website management, content production, marketing and promotion (60%)
- Lead the process of revamping WorldFish and FISH website.
- Translate environmental technical knowledge and adapt information to relevant audiences.
- Keep abreast of new developments related to web tools and provide strategic and analytical advice for improvements/upgrades as necessary.
- Liaise with communications consultants for graphics, editing and web development.
- Drive WorldFish and FISH external communications (news, stories, impacts, annual reports and press releases) by writing, editing, publishing and distributing content on our website and social media channels.
- Liaise internally to develop and coordinate content for websites, social media and corporate communications material to build internal and external visibility and increase interest among key stakeholder groups.
- Research, write, develop and collate (including copy editing and proofreading where necessary) engaging content to the website.
- Ensure WorldFish and FISH websites are made visible to target audiences through effective SEO optimization and/or Google Adwords, etc.
Online community management and multimedia (20%)
- Coordinate the content development planning, meetings and activities of WorldFish’s Virtual Network of Communication Officers across different country offices and projects across Africa, Asia and the Pacific.
- Provide substantive support and input to the development of country, project and topic-related digital communications products, strategies and tools.
- Work with external consultants to coordinate new developments to the website and ensure any technical issues are resolved.
- Manage and oversee WorldFish and FISH’s profiles and engage with audiences, across key social media sites (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube).
- Ensure WorldFish and FISH features on relevant external websites and that our work is promoted via appropriate third party online channels.
- Create and implement digital communication plans around key strategic events/pieces of work.
- Coordinate a schedule of e-marketing newsletters and campaigns, including collating and producing content and distributing to specified mailing lists.
- Keep abreast of the latest innovations in digital communications and make suggestions for new ways of promoting WorldFish work and messages online.
- Manage multimedia resources, including developing and maintaining the photo library – and when appropriate – work with consultants to produce digital content to promote our work.
- Monitor, record, evaluate and report on key social media and e-marketing tools performance statistics and successes.
Internal communications and knowledge sharing (20%)
- Work with the Director of Communications and Marketing to support the development and use of WorldFish’s internal communication tools and channels.
- Promote the benefits and impact of digital communications internally.
- Increase staff and programme partners use of social media, the intranet and the website CMS through providing support, coaching and encouragement and creation of policies and guidelines as necessary.
- Sharing information and knowledge internally via Intranet, MS Teams and other channels.
- Provide support to country and project teams with digital communications activities, including training/coaching as necessary in order to maximize their use and engagement with WorldFish and FISH website, e-marketing tools and social media.
- Support the Director of Communications and Marketing with any other communications projects and activities, and perform other duties and tasks as required, consistent with the skills and expertise of the post-holder, in non-routine circumstances.
- Advanced Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Development, Business and Marketing and/or related field.
- A minimum of 5-6 years of communications/marketing experience in a research organization or development agency or project and multicultural setting.
- Strong writing, copy editing and proofreading skills with the ability to make complex information accessible, craft engaging online copy and a familiarity with optimizing text for search engines.
- Proven experience of managing organizational websites, including planning content priorities, writing, preparing and uploading content, maintaining the backend CMS (ideally using Drupal) and working with developers to develop functionality and solve technical issues.
- Knowledge of best practice in website/intranet design, search engine optimization techniques and a good understanding of emerging digital trends.
- A strong track record of effectively utilizing and developing a presence on, key social media platforms – including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr and Twitter.
- Experience with web analytics/tracking, especially Google Analytics and Social Media analytics and listening/engagement tools.
- Knowledge of internet marketing, promotions, events, creative process, and Social Media marketing.
- Strong brand management, marketing and digital communications skills.
- Native or near-native-level English with excellent presentation, facilitation, oral and writing with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, organizational, grammar and editorial skills, with attention to detail and team coordination.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrable experience of supporting colleagues with digital communications activities, either through coaching/training or assisting with particular projects.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to meet deadlines, manage a complex and varied workload, prioritize tasks and work.
- Experience of producing and/or managing multimedia content such as photography, film and audio (essential), including some experience of basic film/audio editing (desirable); additional qualifications in web design or animation is a plus.
- Experience in web site content management systems (i.e, Drupal, Wordpres), and Adobe creative suite.
Salary & Benefits
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 53,000 – USD 57,000 gross per annum. WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
*Note: Items marked are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.**
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a 3-year period, with possibility for renewal depending on performance of and the availability of funding. Interviews will be held via video conference in February 2019 and the successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following Information Online HERE latest by 24 February 2019:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start as soon as possible, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.