Land Tenure Advisor
Abt Associates intends to respond to an upcoming Request for Proposal from the Indonesian Government, through the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia, to implement a one-year project helping over 300 rural villages in fifteen districts throughout the country to delineate and demarcate their boundaries and map their resources to attract future investment in areas that will improve rural livelihoods in an environmentally sustainable manner. In this project, Abt Associates and its team of Indonesian specialists and subcontractors will work with local communities and government in a participatory process to determine each community’s physical boundaries and natural and cultural resource areas to create a geo-spacial database of its land, assets, and resources.
Abt Associates is seeking a Land Tenure Advisor who will directly report to the project’s Chief of Party and be responsible for developing and implementing processes to resolve village land disputes which include investigating and reporting on land use and tenure issues and work with villages and project teams to resolve them. The position will be based in Jakarta and require travel to remote locations in the field.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide input in the planning of the work under PMAP 6 to incorporate methodology and mechanism for land dispute resolution;
- Investigate the land use and tenure issues of each district, subdistrict and village in the assigned districts, including indigenous land (adat land) issues in coordination with the Stakeholders Engagement Specialist;
- Participate in the district and subdistrict level planning meeting and serve as a land use and tenure resource person in all meetings as needed;
- Provide expert support to the Area / District Coordinators, Kecamatan Technical Working Group and the Village Participation Teams as needed in land use and land tenure issues which arise during the Village Boundary Setting and Resource Mapping (VBS/RM) process;
- Plan for land-based dispute mediation and oversee its application during the implementation of VBS/RM in the villages;
- Monitor the land use and land tenure aspects of the VBS/RM process and provide input and support data for the preparation of reports and presentations.
- Bachelor level degree in land tenure, geography, economics, natural resource management or rural development;
- Seven years professional experience in land-related development projects or research;
- Demonstrated technical understanding of natural resource management, land use and rural community development and land-based dispute mediation;
- Previous work experience in Indonesia, as well as strong knowledge of rural land issues including indigenous/customary (adat) land tenure and territorial claims;
- Ability to frequently travel to remote locations in Indonesia;
- Fluency in English, both in written and oral. Mandatory experience in writing technical reports in English.
The following qualification is also desirable:
Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia.
Interested candidates may send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com indicating the title in the email subject as soon as possible but no later than 28 October 2016. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Abt Associates.