Contract Type: Individual Contractor (ICA)
Grade: C2Contract Duration: 36 months
Date to close: 13/11/2016
Ref No: STA1157
Based in the GGGI office within the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) the Program Lead will lead implementation of GGGI’s work across three areas: green cities, energy and finance. As the Program Lead the postholder will be required to have broad sector expertise in the field of sustainable development, green growth, with specific experience of green cities, energy and/or climate finance a plus. The post holder will work closely with the Ministry of Construction (MOC) and the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) to develop key strategic national policy documents for green city and renewable energy development and for the integration of green growth into key policies of MPI. The post holder will also lead the identification and prioritisation of green city development projects in secondary cities, and biomass to energy projects, following best practice methodologies and approaches for green growth planning and implementation. The post holder will have strong stakeholder engagement skills, policy development and strategic thinking skills, and experience in project management and implementation. Advanced qualifications and professional experience in green growth is essential, with experience in Viet Nam or Southeast Asia, as well as bankable project design and financing is highly desirable.
Headquartered in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
Since 2012, GGGI has worked with the government of Viet Nam, in the finance sector with MPI, in urban green growth with MOC and on renewable energy with MOIT. GGGI works to provide strategic policy advice as well as prioritization and development of bankable projects. GGGI and MPI have recently published the 2016-2020 Country Planning Framework (CPF) for Viet Nam, which confirms GGGI’s partnership with the government will focus in the urban, finance and energy sectors to enable Viet Nam to achieve its ambitious development goals in a green and inclusive way.
This position is responsible for leading several components or outputs within the Viet Nam country program, managing a small group of staff and consultants/firms who are supporing output delivery. S/he is the recognized lead advisor on multiple themes and provides day to day technical/strategic advice internally as well as externally to ensure impactful delivery of relevant outputs under the program. The position plays a key role in driving dedicated ‘hybrid’ teams consisting of government offcials, GGGI staff and consultants in delivering top quality outputs which meet high technical standards in the most effective and efficient way. S/he monitors and evaluates the performance of team members as well as being a key point of technical advice and escalation for problem solving within the context of output delivery.
- Leads the development and implementation of multiple outputs within the Viet Nam country program and is able to adapt and apply specified technical knowledge to deliver a portfolio of services
- Captures the essence and needs of the government of Viet Nam and ensures optimal progress and delivery of outputs within the country program. Show immediate results and actions on the ground as well as ability to focus on longer term outcomes
- Keeps abreast on technical knowledge and expertise in a specific or a diverse range of green growth themes to ensure continued relevance of GGGI within Viet Nam
- Maintains close communication with the technical divisions in HQ on relevant topics to ensure their participation in program delivery for quality outputs
- Facilitate in-depth and effective stakeholder dialogues both internally and externally to support each ‘hybrid’ team as well as externally and consultations on multi-disciplinary issues relevant to the components/work streams, resulting in consensus and empathy of perspectives and recognition mutual/complementary interests
- Developing and fostering strong relationships with key government institutions, relevant academic institutions and/or private sector as key stakeholders of the component(s)/work stream(s)
- Deploy strategies to secure collaboration/garner buy-in and support from a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure local ownership of the various analytical outputs
- Independently organize component(s)/work stream(s) delivery with tight deadlines and managing a small technical team (consisting of staff members and consultants)
- Oversees the planning of resources and timeframes relevant to the work stream and implement allocated budgets as per approved Work Program and Budget
- Effective and efficient management and ability to adapt project cycles in anticipation of multiple challenges and bottlenecks in service delivery
- Ensures coordination with operations for prompt support services for timely provision for delivery.
- Clear and timely reporting on project delivery to Country Representative and GGGI HQ
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field, such as public administration, development economics, environmental economics, environmental technology, development studies, etc.
- At least six years of relevant professional experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a must; fluency in Vietnamese is a plus
- Exceptional analytical skills, alongside strong synthesis and strategic thinking skills
- Outstanding stakeholder engagement, client relationship, communication and consensus building skills
- Proven project delivery experience, i.e. managing the delivery of results on time and on budget
- Leadership, team work and creative problem solving abilities
- Excellent multi-cultural literacy and interest in being a part of an international team working in an evolving and entrepreneurial environment
- International experience across multiple country context with specific experience working with developing countries implementing public policy and green growth. Experience within green cities, energy or climate finance a plus
- Experience engaging with government officials of developing countries to influence policy development and decision making
- Experience in Viet Nam and/or South East Asia is a plus
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership
- Process and share information easily and is excellent at problem solving
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff
- Be able to lead, develop and motivate staff and support the Country Representative to make sound decisions