Director of Disaster Response
Starting date: As soon as possible
Vacancy closing date: 3-1-2016
Duty station: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Hours: Full time
Interested candidates must already be in possession of a valid EU work permit to apply.
ZOA is a Christian international NGO, with its head office based in The Netherlands. ZOA operates in fifteen countries on three continents. We provide relief to people affected by conflict or natural disasters. We contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the recovery of their livelihoods.
Following up on an evaluation of disaster response in ZOA (2011-2014) and in response to the ambition set out in the strategic plan for 2015-2018 ZOA chooses to expand its disaster response activities by transforming the Disaster Response Unit into the Disaster Response Team. This team will be led by the Director of Disaster Response.
Purpose of the position
The Director of Disaster Response is to be an entrepreneurial and visionary who is mainly responsible for:
- The strategic direction and operational management of ZOA disaster response programs in countries without ZOA recovery operations, disaster response support in ZOA recovery countries, and management of the Disaster Response Team.
The Director of Disaster Response is a member of the International Management Team.
Tasks, responsibilities, results
In countries without ZOA recovery programs:
- Overall management of ZOA disaster response
- Strategic disaster response planning
- Development of new disaster programs
- Acquisition of institutional donor funding
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities
- Preparation, implementation and monitoring financial, personnel and security policies, and procedures
- Maintaining and monitoring the effectiveness of risk management, internal control and administrative organisation
- Initiating and maintaining effective working relations with relevant stakeholders at country level
In countries with ZOA recovery programs:
Provide disaster response support to the ZOA Country Director
- Develop ZOA disaster response and disaster risk reduction policy and standard operating procedures
- Management of the Disaster Response Team
- Develop and put in operation surge capacity
- Being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of ZOA
- The candidate is expected to fully support the vision and mission of ZOA
- Academic competency and working level
- 10 or more years of international experience in Development and/or Humanitarian
- Assistance in both technical and managerial positions
- Network skills
- Planning and organizing
- Team leader and team player
- Conceptual flexibility
- Coaching leadership
- Interpersonal sensitivity
- Organization sensitivity
- Field visits are required as well as visits of international donors and networks. International travel takes 30% or more of the Director’s time.
- Able to travel on short notice.
- Ready to travel to non-family duty stations.
ZOA offers a challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team in the programme country. ZOA provides for good benefits and remuneration.
Please include the contact details of references to previous positions held not older than five years.
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Mrs. Charity van Bemmel HR Officer, email: email@example.com.
How to apply
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via our website CLICK HERE.
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated. Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. A written test will be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered. Internal candidates will have priority, in case of similar results.