TERMS OF REFERENCE
Programme Officer GAP Oil Palm Smallholder
Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a not-for-profit international development organization founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago. It has built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America working with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. Using market based approaches, SNV is committed to reducing poverty by catalysing environmental sustainable solutions for the poor in agriculture, energy, water & sanitation, and climate change.
SNV is working with a consortium of international and local partners led by Euro Consult Mott MacDonald to deliver the Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership (BGPP).
The BGPP will work in Jambi, Sumatra in the 250,000 ha peatland dominated Berbak landscape. It aims to rehabilitate degraded peatland and provide enhanced and alternative economic opportunities for communities that derive their livelihoods from palm oil production and other peatland-based agricultural activities/enterprises. It will deliver four components:
- Peatland, Land Use Zoning, Hydrological Rehabilitation and Water Management to establish the biophysical basis for GHG emission reductions and land use to enable green prosperity. It involves canal-blocking to reverse peatland drainage and improve community farm water management systems.
- Smallholder Enterprise and Farm Systems focuses on improving smallholder yields and income from palm oil, rubber, rice and aquaculture and helping palm oil smallholders on the border of the landscape to deliver sustainable production in line with emissions reduction goals.
- Private Sector Commitment and Action to ensure that companies operating in the landscape understand the sustainability context and apply relevant policies and practices. It will focus on oil palm and HPH concessions and involve the use of palm oil mill effluent (POME) for renewable energy.
- Promoting District and Province-wide Green Prosperity.
This assignment is to engage a Programme Officer GAP Oil Palm Smallholder under Component 2 to support the Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership programme implementation in Jambi. The debate concerning sustainability of oil palm production is ongoing, as problems with deforestation, loss of biodiversity and social issues are still associated with oil palm cultivation and expansion. Improving yields is a key aspect of sustainability, as higher yields per hectare improve land use efficiency and decrease the need for expansion into pristine natural areas to meet demands.
Oil palm certification is considered as part to include the smallholder into the value chains and market access for smallholders.
Scope of Work and Outputs
Programme Officer GAP Oil Palm Smallholder
This position is designed for inclusion in the oil palm smallholder team whose work covers preparing oil palm certification for smallholders, promoting better management practices (BMP), improving smallholder organisations and supporting the position of smallholders in value chains through inclusive business approach. These activities integrate the AKVO system and other relevant tools developed by SNV into broad oil palm activities in various projects.
The officer will work closely with GAP Oil Palm Master Trainers to ensure that the oil palm BMP training implementation is working well and is in line with SNV’s goals and objectives.
- In-charge of and support the preparation of tools and materials for oil palm BMP training or other related programmes;
- Assist GAP Oil Palm Master Trainers in implementing oil palm BMP training for targeted oil palm smallholder groups;
- Assist GAP Oil Palm Master Trainers in the management of activities at both office and field levels;
- Collect farmer’s data during the training days using AKVO;
- Participate in engagement processes with government, companies, smallholders and other stakeholders for programme implementation;
- Perform any additional tasks when identified and within the scope of oil palm team activities (in consultation with line manager and donors).
One year service provider contract with maximum of 110 working days, and extension possibilities. Contract is expected can be started on early November 2016.
Muaro Jambi with frequent travel to the site areas.
Skills and experience required
- This position open for 3 person
- At least a bachelor’s degree in, and maximum of 5 years of experience working in, one or more of the following areas: oil palm agronomy, agriculture, forestry, environment, conservation, biology and other related fields. Fresh graduates are also encouraged to apply;
- Experience in working in oil palm agronomy field or plantation, and in Jambi or the region, would be an advantage – programme officer must show interest to work in the field;
- Ability to work in an inclusive and collegial way with NGO partners, local government, local companies and other stakeholders, and ability to communicate and maintain strong relationship with the stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and good understanding in English will be advantages.
How to apply
CV to email@example.com by 21 October 2016 at the latest with subject: “Officer-GAP Oil Palm”