Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: War Child Canada Headquarters, Toronto
Reports to: Associate Director, International Programs Department
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. War Child Canada has over 15 years of experience working in communities in conflict and post-conflict zones. All work is implemented in direct partnership with local communities, local NGOs and other stakeholders using a child-centered approach. War Child Canada currently works in Afghanistan, Uganda, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq and Jordan.
The Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation leads in the design, development and implementation of a comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the organization’s programs and in the development and design of War Child Canada’s monitoring and impact evaluation systems for all field programs. This position is responsible for building and implementing appropriate capacity building strategies providing mentoring, coaching and training to staff as required, including field-based Monitoring and Evaluation focal points. This position contributes to the growth, learning and effectiveness of the organization through the strengthening of War Child Canada’s evidence base, the consolidation of program results and donor compliance.
DESIGN, DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT AN IMPACT EVALUATION FRAMEWORK: 20% of time
- Leads the development and implementation of a monitoring and evaluation framework for the organization aligned to War Child Canada’s strategy.
- Develops organizational measures and impact indicators with key staff in order to support programming, communication and fundraising goals.
- Assesses current and potential baseline data, existing evaluation processes and methodologies to inform the design, development and implementation of an appropriate, realistic evaluation framework.
DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF STANDARDIZED MONITORING AND EVALUATION SYSTEMS: 30% of time
- Collaborates with programs teams, both in Headquarters and countries of operation, to lead the standardization of monitoring and evaluation systems and indicators across the organization, based upon recognized sector best practices, strategic indicators and the War Child Canada program strategy.
- Leads the development and standardization of monitoring data collection tools and both qualitative and quantitative evaluation instruments for War Child Canada programs, and supports the implementation of these in country programs.
- Spearheads efforts to develop and refine methodologies related to results based management, including the measurement of results across multiple project locations.
- Identify best practice baseline, monitoring, evaluation learning and knowledge sharing tools in alignment with the evaluation framework, sharing with both country and Headquarters teams.
- Works with country teams to plan and design country program impact evaluations based on donor and strategic priorities.
- Contributes to the Country Strategic Planning process through the sharing of lessons learned and Monitoring and Evaluation planning frameworks.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND CAPACITY BUILDING: 20% of time
- Assess existing monitoring and evaluation capacities in countries of operation and Headquarters, and develop a plan for strengthening them.
- Develop training materials on Monitoring and Evaluation to respond to capacity needs, both in countries of operation and at Headquarters.
- Provide technical support and training to country staff and partners on Monitoring and Evaluation practices, including designing Monitoring and Evaluation methodologies, tool design, survey management, analysis and other related topics.
- Leads the formulation and on-going review of monitoring and evaluation guidelines within War Child Canada.
- Work and provide coaching to staff members to ensure consistency of the evaluation framework and ability to integrate consistent measures into project design and implementation.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: 10% of time
- Provides management oversight to the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Recruits monitoring and evaluation staff and consultants as needed.
- Provides guidance to country offices in the recruitment of Monitoring and Evaluation staff and the development of these teams.
MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS: 10% of time
- Leads in the design, development and implementation of a practical database in co-ordination with Headquarters and country teams in order to collect programming data, in alignment with the impact evaluation framework.
- Assists the implementation of the management information system in co-ordination with country teams and Headquarters staff.
LEARNING AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: 10% of time
- Manages the sharing and learning from Monitoring and Evaluation process and results with the wider team.
- Support War Child Canada staff and partners in improving learning and knowledge sharing mechanisms.
- Promote a culture of learning in the organization.
Knowledge and Skills
- Post-secondary degree in International Development, Social Sciences, International Relations, Economics or related subject. A post-graduate degree in statistics or research related field an asset
- 1-2 years of experience in an analytical or evaluative role.
- Strong knowledge of Excel. Experience with SPSS or other statistical packages an asset.
- Experience with conducting and/or analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ability to present data and analysis to a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation or research methodologies an asset.
- Database design experience an asset.
Occasional field travel may be required
Competitive, based on qualifications and experience.