- Take ownership of the conservation components of the WWF Singapore strategy, monitor progress, identify and resolve problems. Become knowledgeable with the conservation-related opportunities and threats to Singapore vis-à-vis WWF Network conservation priorities and advise the organisation on direction to achieve agreed outcomes.
- Build and assess annual pipeline of conservation grant programmes/projects that can best support donor/corporate aspirations in the areas of focus of WWF Singapore. This includes soliciting and screening of projects and formulating recommendations to the Senior Management Team and Board as appropriate. Represent WWF Singapore as the liaison with the conservation teams in those WWF country offices receiving funds from WWF Singapore.
- Strategise and oversee the market transformational initiatives for commodities such as timber/pulp and paper, palm oil, rubber etc for the purpose of working with the corporate sector in Singapore on sustainable development.
- Represent WWF Singapore on the steering committee of the Singapore Alliance of Sustainable Palm Oil and guide the work of the alliance. Develop other such tools and methods for sustainability as may be from time to time appropriate.
- Network and dialogue with the relevant Singapore government agencies on the local and regional issues to drive WWF Singapore’s conservation and sustainability agenda..
- Works closely with the global experts (Tiger, Climate and Energy, Sustainable Finance) embedded in WWF Singapore to ensure delivery of outcomes especially in the achievement of WWF Singapore’s goals and objectives related to their domains of expertise.
- Collaborate with internal departments to integrate and align with organisational goals and objectives, supporting communications and fundraising activities as needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Higher degree in Environmental Science/ Sustainability, Natural Sciences/ Engineering, Economics/ Business or related field. Phd preferred.
- Technical proficiency in the field of nature conservation and natural resource management, preferably in the Markets, Forests or Marine sectors.
- Experience of working and influencing Singapore/ Asian businesses and governments.
- At least 10 years of professional experience, with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership and management position, in programme/ project planning/ implementation.
- A good understanding of the WWF network or other organizations in the conservation sector is an advantage.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to think strategically.
- In-depth knowledge of conservation and environmental sustainability issues, and how business and government functions in the Singapore/ Asian context.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships
- at all levels, within WWF Singapore and with external stakeholders.
- High level of competency in analysing and communicating technical information in a simple
- succinct manner.
- Ability to liaise effectively with local communities and governments at different levels.
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.