Post Title: Finance Coordinator for American Red Cross
Post Level: Coordinator Level – K
Contract Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Reports to: Country Representative (CR) Indonesia, Timor-Leste and Pacific
Supervises: Finance Manager and Finance Officer(s)
The American Red Cross helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises through mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. We are a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
Currently the American Red Cross has several disaster preparedness and organizational development programs funded through USAID/OFDA and private philanthropies in Indonesia and Micronesia. We are exploring other growth opportunities in our current countries of operation and potentially Timor-Leste. The American Red Cross collaborates with the Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) and Micronesia Red Cross (MRCS) who are our local implementing partners.
The Finance Coordinator is a new position and will provide technical management support related to financial management, capacity building and systems improvements of the organization and partners, including compliance with financial regulations, financial planning, financial skills development and aspects related to project budgeting and fund utilization in achieving the objectives as established in the Indonesia country office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage and oversee all tasks and activities of the finance department
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews
- Provide guidance to team on development plans based on staff professional development goals
- Identify training needs for finance staff, and provide coaching/recommendations for additional training courses
- Ensure staffing is adequate for workload, make recommendations as needed to CR for scaling up/downsizing based on project portfolio
- Ensure that staffing roles and responsibilities are documented and clear, with proper segregation of tasks for internal controls checks
- Provide surge support needed for month end/year end closing activities, and coverage when staff are on leave
Ensure that all financial transactions are valid, adequately supported, and processed in accordance with the Financial Policies and Procedures Manual and donor rules and regulations
- Regularly provide the delegation with a field finance manual training and donor regulations training, at least once a year and when major updates occur
- Provide support to the operations department in efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Promote a culture of cost awareness and cost discipline
- Assess financial control and compliance environment and implement process improvements as needed for better efficiency and adherence
- Conduct monitoring visits and exercise direct control and oversight measures
- Responsible for ensuring that issues in controls/processes that are raised during financial monitoring visits and application of control measures are resolved in a timely manner by working with the CR, finance team, ISF, operations team and partners as needed to implement recommended follow up actions. Update ISF and the CR regularly on the progress of resolving issues
Serve clients to achieve International Services Department (ISD) and International Services/Finance (ISF) Goals
- To serve as strategic partner to CR and Program Managers in Project management Support
- Collaborate with program managers to ensure compliance with all the finance regulations per donor, project design and implementation
- Support the CR with analysis, strategic planning and costing scenarios and proposal development for planning for future activities based on funding potential as well as for optimization of existing operations
- Work with CR, finance team, and operations team to document operations/financial policies specific to the delegation in the Field Operations Manual
- Work with program team to develop a detailed program management BVA tool/dashboard that fits the program tracking needs, and develop process for monthly meeting for finance/program teams to review and discuss variances as well as forecasts for coming months
- Identify and implement improvements to systems and processes for AmCross finance and operations
To strengthen PMI and MRCS Financial department in HQ, Chapter and Branches
- Support PMI and MRCS capacity and organizational development at the chapter & branches through training, facilitation and coaching
- Support and coordinate with IFRC counterpart on organizational development activities
- Support PMI and MRCS on annual audit processes (i.e. USG), and ensure they are completed timely, keep ISF and CR updated on the process
- Identify and implement improvements to systems and processes for PMI and MRCS
- Serve as AmCross lead finance and compliance point of contact with partners
- A master’s degree preferably from a reputable accredited university in Finance, Business Management, Accounting or related field
- At least 10 years’ relevant experience in NGO/Red Cross sector with demonstrated progressive managerial responsibilities
- Experience studying, training and/or working outside of Indonesia strongly preferred
- Experience identifying and establishing institutional capacity building and process/systems improvement initiatives, particularly for own and local partner organizations
- Excellent skills in budgeting and financial management, problem solving, conflict resolution, advocacy, and stakeholder coordination
- Experience in donor/partners relationship management. Must have experience with USAID or USAID/OFDA funded projects
- Fluent in English and Indonesian (written and spoken)
- Advanced computer skills (Accounting Software, Excel)
- Understanding of and/or experienced with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement preferred
- Able to directly take on complex assignments and not just delegate them to others
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae in English no later than 3 February 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Place the job title in the subject line and include your name in all application files. Include in your application your monthly gross salary requirements in IDR and at least 3 references.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.