Program Manager Landscape and Commodities this role is based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
This position plays a significant role in the development and execution for Landscapes and Commodities Programs in Malaysia. The position reports directly to Country Coordinator and is responsible for overall program management, technical and administration direction, as well as implementing the program in Sabah.
The objectives of this role:
- The development of long-term relationships with the State government of Sabah, Forestry Agency and other relevant governmental agencies to support plans for mainstream sustainable palm oil production and linking this with (Sub)national legislations, and budgets.
- Unlocking and securing private sector investment in sustainable production of palm oil and other commodities, as well as sustainable natural recourse management.
- The development and transformation of commodity markets into sustainable supply chains and preferential sourcing areas.
- Translate the strategic goals into regional operational plans and take full responsibility for program implementation, deliverables, monitoring progress and reporting on outcomes.
- Engage with stakeholders, decision makers, and local governments to promote sustainable development that will involve different key commodities, with a strong focus on palm oil.
- Build partnerships necessary to secure cooperation and implementation program through convening and facilitating stakeholder collaboration including partnerships with local governments, private sector and civil society.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant commodities, sustainability development and supply chain initiatives to allow benchmarking and challenge current practice.
- Lead contract negotiations in formulating budgets, staffing and program plans with program partners.
- Plan, organize and coordinate events and workshops as required.
- Represent IDH at industry associations, conferences, and other external meetings and events as directed by the Country Coordinator.
- Advance degree in in agriculture social science/development studies, strategic/program management or related field.
- A Minimum 10+ years of relevant working experience in international organizations/settings.
- Extensive knowledge of sustainability issue in the landscape and commodities sector (Palm Oil, Timber, Pulp and Paper, Rubber,), and sustainability development in respect of forest conservation.
- Proven track record and high proficiency in project management across various stages of project development and implementation (initiating, planning, execution, monitoring and completion).
- Proven ability for networking with major players in government, private sector and other stakeholders at local levels across the development sector.
- Good knowledge of financial management and budgeting principle.
- Have extensive experience of working in Malaysia.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English.
Next to these criteria, the following competencies are expected of applicants:
- A Team player and able to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- A practical approach to problem solving and the identification of opportunities, and ability to make clear and concise decisions.
- Ability to effectively work with senior management and decision makers both internally and externally.
- Strong writing, presentation and reporting skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote areas.
IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is a full-time position. The successful applicant will initially be offered a one-year contract but with the possibility to extend.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send their CV and application to email@example.com mentioning “Program Manager Landscape and Commodities-Malaysia” in the subject line. We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 15 February 2019.