Post Title : Disaster Management (DM) Coordinator for American Red Cross
Post Level : Coordinator Level – H (based on experience)
Contract Duration : 12 months with possibility of extension
Base of assignment : Jakarta with up to 50% travel required
Reports to : Country Representative (CR) Indonesia, Timor Leste and Pacific
The American Red Cross (AmCross) helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises through mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. We are a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
Currently the American Red Cross has several disaster preparedness and organizational development programs funded through USAID/OFDA and private philanthropies in Indonesia and Micronesia. We are exploring other growth opportunities in our current countries of operation as well as Timor-Leste. The American Red Cross collaborates with the Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) and Micronesia Red Cross (MRCS) who are our local implementing partners. The primary focus of the DM Coordinator position will be our Indonesia portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Representation and Program Development
- Develop strategies and program initiatives in collaboration with PMI, MRCS, AmCross, donors and partners;
- Provide extensive input and technical support to project proposals and program design and in many cases serve as lead proposal writer;
- Institutionalize Disaster Management guidelines and policies as developed by AmCross, Red Cross Movement and external entities as the UN and local authorities;
- Coordinate effectively with PMI, MRCS, AmCross management, partners and technical sector colleagues and consultants;
- Represent AmCross on behalf of the CR at internal and external meetings, technical and coordination meetings, ceremonies and Red Cross Red Crescent functions;
- Network and establish functional relationships with key stakeholders, government agencies, NGOs, and Red Cross partners;
- Present AmCross activities and or carry out discussions on behalf of AmCross when required;
- Prepare content for program documentation, fact sheets and public relations materials;
- Participate in senior management group meetings to ensure the CR and other staff are updated on key program and operation issues and support needs;
- Responsible for overseeing all AmCross DM projects and staff;
- Provide inputs as required to strategic and annual planning process, achievement of activity targets and required modification of program objectives
- Ensure quality project management skills are applied to all aspects of funded initiatives that includes, but not limited to, applying best practices in program design; monitoring of project implementation; ensuring financial compliance with good budget management; ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation; and timely reporting and relevant analysis;
- Responsible for decision-making in overall project implementation, particularly related to budget and implementation issues;
- Ensure the terms of project agreements are complied with by all partners;
- Assure PMI effectively implements initiatives by complementing their existing capacities and providing directed oversite and support where needed;
- Identify and develop AmCross and partner capacity building requirements;
- Provide regular, accurate, and professional (narrative and financial) progress reports to management, donors and other stakeholders as required;
- Working with CR and Admin staff, ensure professional administrative and logistics support is given to AmCross DM programs;
- Keep abreast of disaster management and preparedness issues, knowledge and tools, as well as climate change initiatives, find ways to incorporate such initiatives where relevant to programs;
- Contribute to knowledge management, document and share lessons learned with AmCross, IFRC, PMI and partners as necessary;
- Conduct field visits to project sites on a regular basis for monitoring, provision of hands-on support and quality assurance;
- Support access to reference materials, promote on-line training resources, co-facilitating technical trainings and delivering technical presentations during training events and other meetings.
- Directly manage three Disaster Management Project Managers/Officers and support, as needed, Micronesia based Disaster Management Delegate;
- Ensure staff are oriented on program strategies, expectations, and own roles and responsibilities;
- Ensure all staff have the competencies and support to effectively complete own objectives and tasks as well as provide technical support to PMI;
- Supervise and coach staff and promote a learning environment;
- Be mindful of staff wellness and induce a culture of transparency, problem solving, and teamwork;
- Identify and select appropriate skills development opportunities that would enhance staff capacity.
- A degree preferably from a reputable accredited university in Social Science, Disaster Management, Environmental Protection and/or relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred;
- 15 or more years relevant experience with at least 10 years’ progressive management experience working as a professional in the Disaster Management field particularly community resiliency and community based DRR
- 10 years plus experience with program design and project management; ability to design and manage all stages of disaster risk mitigation, preparedness, recovery and rehabilitation projects;
- Experience studying, training and working outside of Indonesia preferred;
- Demonstrated success in proposal writing and securing funding and analytical report writing;
- Experience identifying and establishing institutional capacity building initiatives, particularly for local partner organizations;
- Experience collaborating with government agencies, international organizations and working through local implementing partners;
- Excellent skills in budgeting and financial management, problem solving, conflict resolution, advocacy, and stakeholder coordination;
- Experience in donor/partners relationship management. Must have experience with USAID or USAID/OFDA funded projects;
- Proven field work experience in disaster response operations or similar contexts.
- Fluent in English and Indonesian (written and spoken) required.
- Advanced computers skills (Windows, Spreadsheets, Word Processing);
- Understanding of and/or experience with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement preferred
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae in English no later than 22 May 2019 to email@example.com. Place the job title in the subject line and include your name in all application files. Include in your application your monthly gross salary requirements in IDR and at least 3 references.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.