Publications and Research Intern
Location: New York, NY
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and
democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that
support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to
freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Research Intern will have the opportunity to become involved with
diverse activities associated with the research and production of two
main annual surveys produced in the New York office: Freedom in the World and Freedom of the Press.
Assigned duties will depend on the particular prior experiences and
skills of the intern. This position is based in New York and reports to
the Vice President for Research. This is an unpaid internship that will last approximately 24 weeks.
- Intern must be enrolled in an accredited college or university and able to receive academic credit orfulfill an academic requirement
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Master’s degree, or graduate school experience may be necessary for the level of research needed
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated experience conducting Internet research through search engines such as LexisNexis
- Background or interest in international affairs and human rights
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Strong ability to ask questions, learn, and work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct Internet research on topics relevant to Freedom House publications
- Prepare summaries of materials gathered through research
- Proofread and edit documents for relevance and accuracy
- Assist with the development of presentation materials
- Assist with other administrative activities such as data entry and mailings
- Other administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a
low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the
job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job
responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and
duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job
description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.
Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online
application. Please upload a resume AND cover letter as separate
Closing Date: 30 Sep 2014
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter to: HERE