Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Country Director
Duration: November 2021 with possibility of extension
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to help people take control of their lives and make informed decisions. We do this through our focus on health, governance and rights, resilience and humanitarian response, partnering with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
Reporting to the Country Director, the role of HR Manager requires a strategic thinker with strong people management skills who has experience in corporate sector. S/he needs experience of working with stakeholders (internal as well as external) at all levels, where diplomacy and good interpersonal skills are essential. The role also requires experience working with multiple recruitment agencies and job portals, and the ability to multi-task and handle complex and competing priorities with great confidentiality. As the BBC Media Action office in Indonesia is a new office, the role will involve setting up and establishing the new workforce and associated systems and practice. This person will work closely with the BBC HR Manager in London and will manage one HR Assistant.
Managing HR operations activities across BBC Media Action office in Indonesia
- Establishing HR procedures and systems in line with BBC Media Action standards
- Staff database management, including managing and maintaining employee records with confidentiality, employee offers, contracts, contract extensions, mandatory documents, and so on
- Managing the annual salary review dissemination process for all staff, in close collaboration with the Country Director and Finance team, including updating salaries, preparing and allotting salary review letters, and maintaining records
- Supporting the Finance team by providing salary advice and leavers’ data on a monthly basis, including ensuring that all full and final procedures are completed and submitted to finance by employees when they leave
- Managing the annual updating of the Declaration of Personal Interest form for all staff members
- Maintaining and updating recruitment agency contracts
- Documentation of all relevant meetings related to grievances, investigations, and disciplinary issues
- Working on all reports and dashboards
Recruitment and On-boarding:
Managing end to end recruitment process for all positions in BBC Media Action office and in Indonesia
- Establishing the recruitment process for all recruitment in line with organisation’s standard and practice, and ensuring that hiring managers and interviewers follow the required process in line with Indonesian laws.
- Updating, standardising and maintaining job descriptions for all positions
- Liaise with recruitment agencies, job portals, and candidates, throughout the recruitment process
- Conducting and maintaining reference checks
- Negotiating job offers with selected candidates
- Ensuring all necessary documentation related to recruitment is maintained
- Ensuring smooth on-boarding
Policies and Training:
Advise on, monitor, and present all organizational HR policies (both internal and external) for the BBC Media Action office in Indonesia
- Update and distribute employee handbook to all employees
- Managing and delivering all BBC Media Action Essential Training Courses for new staff members, and delivering refresher training for all existing staff once a year
- To provide advice and support to managers on employee relations, expectation mismatch, non-performance and misconduct issues
- To liaise with other BBC HR Advisors/ Business Partners across other BBC Divisions, to ensure appropriate consistent practices
- Any other task assigned by line manager.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least 6 years’ experience in the field of Human Resources as a generalist
- Experience of setting up and establishing HR procedures, systems and practices
- Extensive knowledge of Indonesian Employment law
- Experience in writing content, briefs and minutes
- Should be proactive and a people person
- Open and clear communication and maintain confidentiality at every stage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Bahasa, and the ability to negotiate tactfully and effectively
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of self-motivation and strategic thinking
- Ability to work on own initiative and organise time effectively within a range of often conflicting deadlines.
- Capacity to juggle competing priorities at all times
- Good interpersonal skills
Skills, knowledge and experience desired
- MBA/ PGDBA/ PGDBM in Human Resources (2 years full time course)
- Knowledge of Human Resources and Labour Laws in Indonesia
- Experience of working with international organisations
- Knowledge of International employment law
The person recruited will be expected to sign the BBC’s Declaration of Personal Interest form and keep it up-to-date. The post will be based in Jakrata and will require travel within the country. The person may also be required, from time-to-time, to take on such other duties and responsibilities as the Country Director and others in senior positions in BBC Media Action might request.